Pool Community

In-Ground Pool Owners

Group discussion on all aspects of purchasing, maintaining, and especially enjoying an in-ground pool.  Share your pictures, experiences, create your own group "Texas Pool Owners" and get your neigbors to join for group participation.  What swimming pool cleaner do you use?  Suction?  Robotic?  I live in a temperate climate, what is the best way to heat my pool?  I'm seeing some stains in the bottom of my in-ground pool, what can I do to prevent and/or remove them?  Sometimes the best way to save money and also to make sure your expensive pool is cared for properly is to do it yourself!  Start a discussion...someone is sure to respond.

Click on a STAR and give it YOUR rating?
  • Currently 2/5 Stars.

Plumbing multiple Hayward thearly jets
Posted 8/14/2017 3:20:32 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Installing Hayward max Flo therapy jet assemblies into seats of pool, have 4 with piping that runs between them, how do you run pipes? Where can I get info on connecting them. Pretty good plumber but this is confusing.help.

Leak in bottom step of a galvanized pool that then gets covered with a liner
Posted 6/16/2017 6:31:43 PM by Anonymous    Reply
The bottom step of our galvanized pool has 3 cracks that are leaking water out of them. I have tried everything I can think of and can't get the leaks to stop. please help me!!!!

Pool leaking
Posted 5/17/2017 7:23:44 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I can see under pool cover. Water not up. Must be leaking somewhere. Cement pool with fiberglass walls. I caulked between walls last year and no leaks all summer now this again what do I do??? Good sealant???????

Bubbles in return lines
Posted 6/27/2016 12:47:18 PM by Anonymous    Reply
13464 gal Anthony and Sylvan gunnite pool. 6yrs old. Have bubbles in return lines and filter. Takes almost 2 min to release the air from the relief valve. Had suction side jandy valves for skimmer and main drain replaced because the screws were stripped, replaced all o rings on pump and replaced strainer basket lid with new parts and o ring. Still having same issue. However if I open solar recirculate a quarter turn, main drain and skimmers completely open then bubbles in strainer reduce significantly and no bubbles in returns. If I close skimmer 1 which is furthest from pump and main drain and leave skimmer 2 open only then basket is clear. Salt pool, Jandy dev 48 filter and aqua pure 1400 salt cell. Ph is 7.3, fc is 3.0, tc is 3.0, calcium is 350, cya is 65 and TA is 90. PH is low due to a scaling problem which I have had for 3 seasons.

Pentair Challenger pump problem
Posted 5/13/2016 10:21:55 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Changed my 1hp motor to a 2-speed 1hp motor yesterday. Rebuilt pump (new O-rings/seals) and now the pump will not move water. Filled strainer basket and filter with water but pump will not move any water. Disassembled pump 3 times to verify all was installed correctly and don't see any issues. Only thing I can think of is a slipping shaft on the impeller but I can't get it to slip by hand. I would appreciate any suggestions before I replace the pump. And yes, the pump is running in high speed when selected. Low speed also works but not trying to prime pump in low speed.

deck mounted light for inground pool
Posted 5/6/2016 6:06:30 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a vinyl liner inground pool. My last liner tore around the light because we had to cut the liner to install it. I had a nitelighter light that installed over the deck. It is now broken & nobody seems to carry this light or any other to replace it. Does anyone know where I can purchase this type of light? Thank you, Bob Henry

water leaking into concrete pool from sides (visible when pool is emptied)
Posted 3/29/2016 10:00:55 AM by Anonymous    Reply
what does leaking into a concrete pool mean? is this the place where water could leak out when the concrete pool is full?

Life span of galvanized steel wall pool
Posted 9/7/2015 11:31:33 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Our inground pool. Is about 17 years old. How much longer will the structure last? Replaced liner once in the time we own it.

Spray paint residue floating on pool
Posted 9/3/2015 7:45:30 AM by Anonymous    Reply
We sprayed the coping on in ground pool and the overspray is floating on the surface. The filter has been running nonstop and we have tried everything. Is there a way to remove the white spray?

Damian Fantauzzi
Posted 7/4/2015 3:54:34 PM by Anonymous    Reply
What if I elect not to open my inground pool this summer, I live in the northeast?

Pool Cover Drained Into Pool HELP!
Posted 6/5/2015 9:32:49 AM by Anonymous    Reply
My pool cover had a hole in it while I was taking the cover off and all the muck and leaves are now in the pool! It's an in ground pool, I have used the pool opening kit, put in a couple bags of shock, added chlorine, and backwashed once. I've ran the cleaner a couple of times. I cannot see the bottom to see if there are alot of leaves or not, color of pool is greenish. Should I add other chemicals?

Inground pool line leak
Posted 4/26/2015 10:15:37 AM by Anonymous    Reply
After locating a line about 5 feet down, I repaired it and now wonder if I need to pour cement back over it before filling it back with dirt. It was encased in cement that I had to chip away before repairing it.

Jim C
Posted 4/5/2015 5:50:52 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I spend Jan - April in Florida. When I go back North in May, will it hurt to just shut down my pool and leave it set until next Jan? I know it will be a mess but it only takes a week to get it cleaned back up. It's a speckle finish gunnite pool.

have only experience with above ground notin ground pools
Posted 4/2/2015 7:22:22 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Help...just moved to a home with an in ground pool. It was quit dirty when we moved like it hadn't been clean in a while.any how went to the local pool store tested water started getting water cleared.now that the water is clearing I can see where round shape plaster spots have formed and plaster is peeling away.My question is there a product or trick I can do to stop the plaster from peeling or product to use underwater without having to drain the pool at least until we can afford to re plaster it. If not is it safe to swim it the pool?

HELP, I spilled about 1 cup of Behr concrete solid color stain in my pool.
Posted 3/15/2015 3:01:07 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I need to know how to clean it now. It is milky. Will my pool filter eventually clear it up? The paint is water based but 100% silicone. I am cleaning the filter every 3 hours but don't see much paint on the filter.

Anonymous 3/24/2015 4:36:36 AM    Reply
Thank you for your help. I added Pool Perfect and chlorine free shock treatment every other day. I also added 2 gallons of regular chlorine everyday. After 5 days my pool is almost clear. The paint is being trapped in my cartridge so I know it is filtering it out.
pool repair contractor did not finish the pool
Posted 10/30/2014 8:54:37 PM by Anonymous    Reply
my in ground pool was never opened for the summer and we decided to get a new liner for the pool but the contractor never did finish or start the project! now the pool is open with no liner and empty for the winter! What do we do to prevent more damage to the pool.

Diving board
Posted 10/8/2014 11:19:49 PM by Anonymous    Reply
My old 9 foot fiberglass diving board is done. I want to replace it with a new one. It sat on a u-frame. The new diving board, does it have to be 9 feet long or can I use an 8 foot diving board? Thanks.

Pool Closing
Posted 9/5/2014 6:12:05 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a 40'x20x in ground concrete pool. Net spring I am going to acid wash it and paint it. I am closing the pool now. I am going to empty it over the winter. Will emptying cause any damage over the winter to it. If I empty it I will not cover it either.

Losing 4: of water a day
Posted 8/28/2014 7:34:28 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have an inground pool with a vinyl liner and about a week ago it started losing approximately 4 inches of water a day. There are no visible holes in the liner. There is no water on the ground by any of our pool equipment. Can anyone help with where I should start looking for the leak? Thanks!

Pool not level
Posted 6/8/2014 7:47:14 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Last Summer we had a fiberglass pool installed that was removed from a neighbors yard. The company who installed it had originally installed it at there home. They said they had done this many times. Well they didn't get it level. We have a significant difference in water level from one side to the next about 3 to 4 inch. We are trying to get them to fix this, but not having any luck. Any ideas on how to disguise this with tile or something? Thanks

inground pool
Posted 4/27/2014 2:45:58 PM by Anonymous    Reply
l have a slow leak is their a sealer available or is it leaking at the light

Anonymous 7/29/2014 9:29:35 AM    Reply
weve had a slow leak which is by the steps walking down into pool, we have to add water every day, which means more chemicals were throwing right down the drain. If you drain your pool to the deep end, and try to check by your steps, the liner is going to be pulled out and bingo , your going to have to replace liner. Our slow leak is not in liner, were just looking for someone who might be able to help us find it with the tool that is so expensive for pool people to check it. If they come out, its gonna cost bucks, whether they find the leak or not find it. Were at our wits end as to what to do. Also, weve had the cement knocked out by the steps that walk into the pool, and found one leak, they told us to check the screws on the right side of steps under that strip that goes down the side of steps. some were stripped, so we replaced them, it helped some but not all the way.
Torn pool liner
Posted 2/16/2014 2:31:42 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We had a 12 year old pool liner that was worn and began to leak water. The pool is now empty. The pool person who came out to measure and give an estimate ripped places in the liner to see the base. We had some financial hardships and were unable to replace the liner at the time. We then had a lot of rain and ice which is unusual for us. Now you can see the dirt underneath. We are now probably at a state we could replace the liner, but there will be more cost because of the damage. Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing any more damage to pool until we can afford to get the liner and repairs?

Anonymous 5/11/2015 9:37:33 PM    Reply
Clean out any debris and cover the pool. The faster you replace the liner the cheaper it will be. The longer you leave it the more work it will need and more materials ( vermiculite, framing, etc..).
Painting pool in ground pop ups.
Posted 1/15/2014 2:03:28 PM by Anonymous    Reply
The pool is grey now. I am going to re plaster in white. I want to paint the pop ups in white to match new plaster. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Rusty marks in pool wall and floor
Posted 1/6/2014 11:08:12 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have an in-ground salt water pool that has rust marks on the wall and floor. How do I stop this happening again? Can I plaster over them and then paint the pool [it is now in need of painting anyway] DavidofBrisbane QLD

Anonymous 3/5/2014 10:44:11 AM    Reply
I had same problem. Get a stain eraser tool, from amazon or pool supply store. Hooks on end of skimmer pole. Is inexpensive and works great.
Anonymous 10/15/2014 12:46:33 PM    Reply
What's causing the rust and what to do to prevent it
Metal Band around Pool Rusting at Joints
Posted 5/25/2013 6:14:47 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Any suggestions on covering up the rusting metal joints around the metal band? looking for some way to cover it up so it doesn't look so bad. don't want to have to cut cement out and replace it.

Anonymous 3/11/2014 10:41:02 AM    Reply
I have the same problem but would be glad to replace the metal band. any ideas where I can find a metal band and someone who would replace the old one?
Anonymous 4/1/2014 10:10:58 PM    Reply
I have the same problem. Did you come up with a solution? I have been researching using PRO-15 or Rust Doctor.
Anonymous 5/18/2015 11:29:16 AM    Reply
Did anyone ever get an answer on the rusty metal band? Mine is so bad, there's almost no metal in places.
Anonymous 8/2/2015 8:03:28 PM    Reply
Mine too. What solution did you come up with?
Staining on pebble tec pool
Posted 12/26/2012 1:06:21 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Our pool is barely a year old. 5 1/2 foot deep made of pebble tec. We test and keep vey clean (live in south AZ) Problem~ there is staining of orange color appearing all over on sides and bottom. Had pool guy come look he poured a little muratic acid in and brushed to no avail. We run the pump daily test ph etc.all says good yet so is not good. We were the first to swim in it was built right before we purchased the home. It sat for few months with no one tending to it and if there was anything that should have been done other than fill with water I doubt very seriously they did for it was a investors flip. We are on fixed income and not sure what is needed to fix this. If its the minerals etc in water seems after fixed it would happen again? The pebble tec I am not fond of seems to be more trying than our neighbors concrete pools. Does anyone know whats going on with our pool and these stains? At my wits end it should not be happening. Creepy crawler runs for many hours a day also. I am a fanatic about clean yet have stains???Help~~

Anonymous 6/14/2013 7:40:16 PM    Reply
try the purple stuff, thats the name of it...pour a whole quart in and run for 24 hours...then keep adding an ouce or two each week...should do the trick
3 star cracks in fibreglass pool shell
Posted 6/21/2012 11:21:03 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Does 3 star cracks spread throughout the inner hull of the pool and are more likely to appear. What causes them?

Anonymous 6/27/2012 11:39:39 AM    Reply
I had something like that-- more like brown (colored in) circles the size of coins, though. If there are 6 or so total, they can patch them. If not, you'll need a new fiberglass wall or, if your bottom is shotcrete (concrete) like mine, you can pay to have your walls converted to shotcrete. That's what I did. If you do that, make sure you take pictures of the process- many pictures and make sure everything is done right. I can tell you more about that if you go that route. I took pictures and now I need them. Everything is covered up and it wasn't done correctly. By done correctly I mean it is not structurally sound due to errors in engineering decisions aka shortcuts as seen in the photos. Good luck to you!
Main drain clogged pay contractor or wait?
Posted 6/15/2012 9:45:11 AM by Anonymous    Reply
My main drain is clogged. I just had my fiberglass walls turned into gunite. The gunite was also reapplied to the bottom, plaster added and tile. The guy who bid the job actually subbed it out to someone else and was rarely here monitoring things. Now there is a clog in the main drain which he guarantees is not his fault. I am skeptical due to the duration of this project, the underwhelming quality of the process and product, and the fact that I did not see any cover over the drain during extended time periods. He wants final payment and promised to fix the main drain at an additional cost to me in 3 weeks (total of 30 days) due to the curing of the plaster. I have a bad feeling about this. He is angry about me wanting to wait to pay him until the problem is resolved, yet he acts like he can fix it easily. I was very patient with all the interruptions on this job and how many weeks it took to complete yet he does not want to wait for the final sum of 6K when it would be only 3 weeks away that he would be fixing this problem. Any thoughts on how to maintain an amicable relationship, resolve the issue, and not be taken advantage of?

botero 6/15/2012 10:14:33 AM    Reply
s
Anonymous 11/23/2014 8:08:49 AM    Reply
Ya... tell him to screw..if he can't wait. It's your money..If you pay him you run the risk of a clogged drain that can't be fixed and being out 6k... I know you will get screwed...these guys are all the same.. be weary. .and wait till its 100%. If he can't fix it ..you will here all kinds of excuses,and never see that money again..and that is truly guaranteed. ..
Anonymous 9/19/2012 7:11:59 AM    Reply
fhgfh
fiberglass pool and possible leak
Posted 4/24/2012 5:27:59 PM by Anonymous    Reply
we are putting water in every 2-3 days and it evaporates fast but it's not hot out. I've owned an inground pool and know regular water evaporation. Pool service recommends leak detector dr. What do you suggest?

Anonymous 4/29/2013 7:44:00 AM    Reply
you have a leak...we had a leak detect done and they found a leak under the decking at the clean out valve..tried to fix ourselves by digging under the deck to the side of the pool (hole was 6ft deep) and couldnt find pipe. let them do the work and pool level stopped dropping. not cheap, reapair was $1200 but worth it if you want to stop the leaking. Also, most cities offer a break on the sewage part of your bill when having to refill, which you will after the repair.
Can you put a vinyl liner over a concrete pool
Posted 7/26/2011 10:36:34 PM by Anonymous    Reply
we own a small resort near a lake in Arkansas and do not like the concrete pool which was built in the early 60's from what we can tell. We have spent hours acid washing and prep on paint only to have paint problems 2 years in a row. We are experience pool owners having had a vinyl lined pool for 17 years. Any thoughts on putting a liner in it. Or it the best option to sand blast and repaint/ replaster. The pool is leaking about 2 inches of water per day for what we hear 5-10 years. We have repaired ever leak we found and still it leaks. We live in a remote area without any pool companies within 75 miles. The local plumber handles pool equipment issues.

Black plastic filler strip between coping and Tile.
Posted 7/11/2011 6:44:02 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I noticed that the black strip between the coping and the tile was getting loose on our inground pool. I lifted an edge only to see a second layer of the same material attached to the concrete coping as it should be. It is rater unsightly but not as bad as it was but I would like to erplace it for appearance purposes. 2 Questions; What is this called and where can I purchase it? Thanks,

cleaning pool
Posted 6/25/2011 9:51:26 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I've been having work done around the pool, new coping and deck pavers. The pool is getting very dirty from debris and dust from cutting pavers, etc. Is it necessary to empty the pool to clean it when the work is done or can it be vacummed by the pool cleaning company?

Inground pool emptys during winter after professional closing
Posted 3/23/2011 9:26:38 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Not sure why our pool lost 20,000 gallons of water. In Sept 2010, we had the pool professionally closed. By Dec we started noticing the cover was drooping in, till we discovered that the entire pool was empty. We had a great deal of snow so it was hard to monitor. We were told that nothing could be done till spring. How do I find out if this was a cause of an error in the closing? I took pics of the filter in case it was left in wrong position and possibly drained out. Does anyone know if the closers are held responsible? Our vinyl lining is now sagging. Any advice?

Anonymous 1/12/2013 1:17:38 PM    Reply
Having the same problem. Has anyone answered your question?
pool coping
Posted 3/20/2011 10:05:47 AM by Anonymous    Reply
we are trying to replace the concrete around our pool. We just had a new liner added 5 years ago. We were told that the coping might be destroyed during the replacement of concrete and may need to be replaced. Can coping be replaced without having to get a new liner and can this be a do-it-yourself (for the coping)project?

coping stone replacement
Posted 3/1/2011 11:12:22 AM by Anonymous    Reply
We need to replace some old stlye coping stone around our pool and are having a difficult time finding a supplier in the Phoenix, Az area, any ideas?

in floor cleaner
Posted 8/26/2010 10:27:55 PM by Anonymous    Reply
what is the best pattern or adjustment of the pop ups? should it be a direct flow to try to get everything to the main return in the center of the pool or just a circlar flow causing the pool to kinda whirlpool and try to pass it all pass the skimmer?

Overly high chlorine reading
Posted 7/7/2010 12:47:49 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I do not believe I am over chlorinating. If I fail to keep tablets in the floater, I will get algae. But my test kit gives me a reading of dark yellow...off the charts. Any expanation or help will be appreciated.

Anonymous 8/22/2010 5:30:25 PM    Reply
Make sure the filter is clean and running regularly.
Anonymous 2/11/2011 11:36:56 AM    Reply
Be sure your ph and alkalinity are in the correct range. If not, you will have to use too much chlorine and you will see the dark yellow readings or high chlorine amounts to keep the algae at bay.
DE powder coming in through jets
Posted 7/5/2010 2:05:36 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I replaced the grid assy last year because powder and particles came out the jets. After replacement it still happens to a lesser degree. Any suggestions?

Anonymous 8/7/2012 5:37:19 PM    Reply
Probably a hole in new filter grid
rusted bolts on filter tube sheets
Posted 6/20/2010 9:57:12 PM by Anonymous    Reply
the bolts connecting the top & bottom tube sheets rust & I can't get them off to replace the diaphram gasket. The screws break off & the only way I know is to drill them out. Does anyone know a preventive measure?

pool de filter system losing pressure
Posted 6/12/2010 11:53:48 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have an inground pool with a de filter system. I just backwashed it and now the pressure does not return to normal. I didnt take anything apart just backwashed it, the pressure is at 15-20 when normally it is at 30.

what are the pros and cons with ionizers
Posted 5/10/2010 9:25:02 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I'm thinking about using an ionizer to avoid using chemicals but not sure if it is worth help.

poolvortex
Posted 5/8/2010 8:18:28 PM by Anonymous    Reply
i keep getting a vortex in my skimmer and my water pressure keeps going up. i put need sand in the filter and when i call the two pool places around town and they tell me that i may not have enough sand and when i go in the pool places someone else tells me i have enough sand. all they keep telling me is you might need to buy this part or that partbut no one can give me a sraight answer to the problem. so i was hoping someone can give the right answer.

Anonymous 5/28/2010 8:42:50 PM    Reply
pool water level may be to low. thats the only time this happens to me. although my preasure drops due to air being sucked into system
Anonymous 6/21/2010 6:54:14 PM    Reply
backwash - the pressure should go down
Pump leaking air somewhere
Posted 4/14/2010 3:32:24 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I just opened an inground pool that has sat for 2 years. New motor, new gasket, and lubed up correctly. The pressure guage is only reading 5. I was just trying to figure out what all could cause the pressure to be low. Sand, cracks, etc.

too much sunscreen spilled in the pool water
Posted 4/4/2010 12:47:43 AM by Anonymous    Reply
My children spilled half a bottle of sunscreen in the pool and now the water is all white and oily. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Anonymous 7/5/2010 10:53:37 PM    Reply
Try Phosfree. If your local pool store doesn't have it then you can find it online. It is great stuff...pricey but cuts cost of other things so it evens out. Otherwise you can try super shocking.
Utility Pump
Posted 3/28/2010 10:00:03 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I need a good submersible pool pump to partially drain my inground vinyl pool. What should I purchase?

Maintain Myself or Pay For It
Posted 3/27/2010 11:37:19 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I just bought a house with an in ground pool, about 15'x20'. I've never had a pool, so am trying to decide if I can maintain it, or 'should' pay someone the $90/month to do it for me. Is it reasonable to do it myself, or should I pay a service early on to avoid problems?

Anonymous 5/28/2010 8:37:46 PM    Reply
If you can do it yourself. If no contract is involved pay for a month so you can see what is done. I open and close my pool myself and save 700 a year. Does the 90 a month include opening and closing your pool.
Anonymous 8/22/2010 5:29:10 PM    Reply
the is about the size of my pool and I had never had one before either. My thoughts are - if the pool is in good condition and you use it, and not too many leaves and dirt get it there and float around - it is pretty easy and acutally kindof like a zen pratice of meditation. There is a learning curve. You wrote this a few months ago. I wonder how you did?
Anonymous 8/5/2011 3:39:20 PM    Reply
With the stress of being a home owner, adding pool maintenance to your resume is sometimes overwhelming. The company Clear Stars Pools has really decent pricing I pay $60 a month. website is www.clearstarpools.com
Anonymous 8/5/2011 3:39:40 PM    Reply
With the stress of being a home owner, adding pool maintenance to your resume is sometimes overwhelming. The company Clear Stars Pools has really decent pricing I pay $60 a month. website is www.clearstarpools.com
purple sunscreen stains on deck! How to remove?
Posted 3/27/2010 8:00:56 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We spilled the purple tinted sunscreen on our deck and it won't come off! any ideas how to remove it? We have scrubbed it with Dawn to no avail!

Pool pump does not stop....
Posted 12/25/2009 11:11:59 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Every once in a while our pool pump continues to run while the controller inside the house reads PUMP IS OFF. Then I go out and bang a few times on the outside controller box and it some how stops. I have opened and checked wiring, nothing is loose or damaged and there are no moving parts, have no idea what the sticky point. Any hint or clue? Will appreciate it very much. infi from CA

Solar pool heater
Posted 9/8/2009 8:01:12 PM by Anonymous    Reply
can anybody recommend their own system. I had one which lasted 2 years and I had to scrap it .

John G. 10/20/2009 11:10:27 AM    Reply
I would recommend the Enersol system. Great warranty, good pricing.
No flow coming in from pool?
Posted 7/26/2009 10:01:46 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I got an inground with a 2hp motor, But no incoming water-I tried to prime it but the pump sucks it until the filler is dry(so I know the pump is working) tried to bleed all the aitr-no good turned off all incoming and opened one at a time-no good filter is clean and so is skimmer basket and the basket in the pool pump running out of ideas??

Anonymous 12/23/2009 6:06:19 PM    Reply
Leaking pvc fitting going in pump http://www.homepools.com
froze impeller
Posted 7/19/2009 2:43:04 PM by Anonymous    Reply
need to fix it

leaky filter tank
Posted 7/5/2009 7:16:15 PM by Anonymous    Reply
In ground pool.No problem until today> Water collecting around filter tank. No visible leaks from hose connections. turned off circuit breaker to pump. Anything to do to stop water flow 'til pool guy gets here?

Loud pool pump
Posted 6/24/2009 4:11:27 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have an inground pool and the pump has been louder then usual. The filter is running good and the water pressure is fine. What would be some reason (and solutions) for this problem?

John G. 6/29/2009 9:39:57 AM    Reply
When the motor gets loud, the motor needs to be replaced, or you need to install new bearings. Please click the enclosed link. http://www.poolcenter.com/motor_parts.htm
J MADRIGAL
Posted 6/23/2009 10:24:18 PM by Anonymous    Reply
THE PUMP HEATS UP AND STOPS WORKING EVERY FIVE MINUETS.

John G. 6/29/2009 9:34:56 AM    Reply
The thermal overload is shutting the pump down. This usually means you need a new motor, Seen here, http://www.poolcenter.com/motor_parts.htm
impeller removal HELP
Posted 6/21/2009 9:47:07 PM by Anonymous    Reply
trying like crazy to remove an impeller on a hayward 4000 pump so I can change a bearing. tried counter clockwise, per manual, using hand, strap wrench, anything I can find. Can't break it loose. Any suggestions? Thanks

spider gasket?
Posted 6/17/2009 11:36:21 AM by Anonymous    Reply
What is a spider gasket, we replaced the gasket in the part by the filter because it was a mess, thinking we would get more pressure, we placed the gasket around the opening of the pump and still no pressure, we are of work and its too expensive to call someone, please help, we do not know what where the spider gasket is? Help

John G. 6/29/2009 9:38:10 AM    Reply
The spider gasket is inside any multiport valve. It is rare the spider gasket will give you more pressure. It looks like a wheel with spokes. Please click the enclosed link. http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_multiport_valve_spider_gaskets.htm
new owner of inground pool
Posted 6/15/2009 2:41:19 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Hello, I got a house with inground pool recently. Don't even know if the pool working. anyone can recommend a good company for the pool inspection?

John G. 6/16/2009 5:03:13 PM    Reply
Sure. What part of the country are you in?
Seal problem?
Posted 6/11/2009 1:29:41 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Ok, i am no poool guru, but i have a question. We have an unground pool with a sand filter, pretty common from what i gather. Between the filter and the punp there is a valve, where you put the pump to filer or backwash, etc. We were having problems with water draining slowly and finally discovered the spokey seal in this valve was folded over. Well, we replaced it, but it is still doing the same old... any one have a clue?

John G. 6/11/2009 3:24:16 PM    Reply
Your spider gasket is failing. Either it needs to be replaced, or it is not seated correctly.
Anonymous 7/6/2009 3:13:46 PM    Reply
You need to call Spider'gasket'man!
Skimmer Repair
Posted 6/10/2009 3:00:15 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have cracks in both skimmers. I paid a pool guy $375.00 (for 20min. of work)to find the leaks. He said that he can put a temporary repair by drilling two holes through each side of the skimmer and fill with a spray form which will harden like cement. But, he said that it would be best to replace the skimmers. However, at $2200.00 per skimmer, i can't afford that. My question is this, how long will this temporary fix last?

John G. 6/11/2009 3:23:15 PM    Reply
Skimmer cracks are common, and a good temporary repair is Pool Putty. Just mix the two parts, and cover the holes. Easily done in minutes. Can be done underwater, or above water.
Anonymous 7/6/2009 3:23:54 PM    Reply
Extremely common, and goons in this business even more common. Go get some JB Weld, WaterWeld, although all of their line would suffice for this job. Find it at many auto parts stores, Menards. Comes in a tube and it costs about $6.50. Goes a long way, just follow the very simple directions and you will be fine. Tell pool boy what to do with his $2200.00/ skimmer.
Vinyl liner came out of track
Posted 6/8/2009 11:00:07 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Hello, This is probably a common question and I have tried to fix this using stretching etc. In my pool the liner has came out in the corner in the deep end. I managed to get it back in using hair dryer method. But I still have some 6-7 inch strip right in the corner that I am not able to push into the track. I drained the pool about foot and a half for the hair dryer method. I do not want to drain the pool completely because I already have done so to clean in it. Please help! Sincerely, Simon S.

Anonymous 6/11/2009 10:58:50 AM    Reply
I had the same problem. Boil some water and pour it over the section that came off the track. This will help to stretch the liner (safely) and then you'll be able to get it back on track. With cold weather, the liner contracts, thus the reason for it coming out of the track.
Dirt in pool...
Posted 6/5/2009 2:06:20 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We have a 16 X 36 liner pool inground with a Cristol Flow sand Filter. We have just switched over to well water after having lived here 3 years. The water was crystal clear and we put it in out pool to fill it up after some maintenance and partial draining. We were away for a day and came home late. I put the necessary chemicals into our pool and turned the pump on and went to bed. When we got up this morning the pool is awash in muddy colored water. I KNOW NEVER to look the other way when dealing with our pool but I did. Will this vacuum out or will I have to redrain the pool?

Anonymous 8/10/2014 2:13:05 PM    Reply
What you did was oxidize the iron in your water when you added the chlorine to the pool. I did the same thing and went on vacation. Came home to a brown water pool.. Just keep running the filter and back washing. You came get a chemical to remove the iron from water. Your well water has a high iron content in it. Glad to know I'm not the only person to oxidize the iron in the pool when adding chlorine. Run filter you'll be ok. Good luck. Pete from Long Island
Anonymous 8/10/2014 2:16:12 PM    Reply
Run filter and backwash, what u did was oxidize the iron in water when adding chlorine to pool
Fiberglass Panel Pools w/ low hanging liner
Posted 6/4/2009 11:25:49 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Hi, we recently bought a house with 4' x 3' fiberglass panels with a low hanging vinyl liner. The seams at the panels and liner are cauked and taped. The pool is leaking to where we now have water pockets under the liner. The plumbing and pressure is fine so I think it's old cauking that's the problem. Is it worth trying to recauk and maybe even replace the liner or to install a coping at the ground level and replace with a full liner? I'm getting mixed signals locally. Any advise on these kind of pools? Thanks!

Anonymous 7/6/2009 3:28:07 PM    Reply
How about knock that POS down! Caulk and tape? How does it even pass code. Wait for a good wind!
Anonymous 4/6/2010 8:35:30 PM    Reply
Did you ever get an answer to your question? What did you finally do? We also purchased a home with a low hung liner and we keep getting lots of wrinkles. Seems like the liner does not stay in the track. Any suggestions?
Adding salt to chlorinated pool
Posted 6/4/2009 11:20:21 AM by Anonymous    Reply
My salt chlorinator stopped working,I believe I need a new cell. I talked to my neighbors pool guy and he said to forget about the chlorinator, save my money and just add chlor tabs to skimmmer and add salt to water if I like the feel of it. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks Judy

John G. 6/4/2009 5:47:09 PM    Reply
Hi Judy. Salt chlorine generators are a very good way to sanitize your pool. No buying, transporting, storing or adding chlorine at all. What's wrong with that? The only drawback, is every 5 years or so, the cell needs to be replaced. Does the neighbors pool guy sell chlorine? I bet he does!!
pump leaking
Posted 6/3/2009 6:03:01 AM by Anonymous    Reply
The bottom of the pump unit leaks . I have tightened all bolts but still the same. On further inspection the water seems to be coming ut of a hole which seems to ther for a purpose

John G. 6/4/2009 5:39:10 PM    Reply
Your pump needs a new shaft seal.
switching from bacquacil to chlorine ..reaction water turning yellow
Posted 5/28/2009 10:32:49 PM by Anonymous    Reply
any suggestions on how to get my water clear

Anonymous 5/30/2009 6:31:19 PM    Reply
I have went through this before. My pool turned a deep blue-green color. I kept shocking it and in about a month it cleared up.
Pool timers
Posted 5/23/2009 9:28:33 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have one now, it's push button, can't seem to get the buttons to push any more. Am interested in purchasing an new one, but am not sure what voltage etc to get, I just picked this one up by luck I guess :) thank you

John G. 5/28/2009 4:08:22 PM    Reply
You need to find the voltage going to the pump, then choose the timer accordingly. I recommend an intermatic.
Anonymous 7/6/2009 4:53:29 PM    Reply
680v to the pool via he johnson/faver bus line terminals. Look for a Westclox.
Indoor pool maintenance, have hayward pro series pool pump?
Posted 5/9/2009 7:22:39 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Purchasing home with indoor pool, no heater but room is heated. Looking to us some type of solar heating device. Any suggestions on maintenance and supplies for us new to the pool world. Currently has hayward pro series sand filter pump. Has been well maintained. Pool is 20+ years old and is cement all around. Hopper at bottom and 1 jet. Not sure on exact size or gallons.

Anonymous 5/9/2009 7:24:00 PM    Reply
live in upstate NY.
my pool heating question
Posted 5/2/2009 4:06:00 PM by Anonymous    Reply
WHAT IS DIFFERENCE IN SOLAR HEATING PANELS REQUIREMENTS FOR MY SCREENED IN POOL VS AN UNSCREENED POOL? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY SOLAR PANELS I WILL NEED TO HEAT MY POOL TO 90+ DEGREES. MY POOL IS APPROX. 16X30 KIDNEY SHAPED. MY LOCATION IS ON THE FLORIDA WEST COAST IN CITRUS COUNTY FLORIDA. MY EMAIL: FIXTURES@ATETEST.COM

John G. 5/4/2009 11:31:20 AM    Reply
You live in the perfect part of the country for free, solar heat. Just click on the enclosed link for more information regarding sizing. http://www.poolcenter.com/heater_solar_poolstor.htm
Anonymous 7/6/2009 4:51:22 PM    Reply
90 degrees! Get a hot tub and call it a day.
Filter Tank Blast
Posted 4/27/2009 2:57:02 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a StaRite Filter and around the clamp at the bottom of the tank it has started blasting water around the bottom of the tank. I bought a new "O" ring, which didn't help and then I bought a new Clamp, which didn't help. Please help, what can be causing this tank to leak so badly. It is when the tank is filling with water but the pressure never gets up. I bought a new filter also. D.Cox from CA

John G. 5/4/2009 11:28:44 AM    Reply
If you replaced the clamp, and oring and the filter body is intact, then you need to remove the clamp and oring and start over. As you tighten the clamp, tap it all the way around with a wrench as you tighten it.
Empty Pool
Posted 4/18/2009 1:41:37 PM by Anonymous    Reply
While we paint our pool and wait for it to dray 4 days is there a risk that the pool would pop out of the ground? I know that sounds crazy!?!

John G. 5/1/2009 2:55:17 PM    Reply
Make sure any hydrostatic plugs are removed.
Anonymous 5/6/2009 6:42:46 PM    Reply
I HAVE HAD BY POOL EMNTY TWICE FOR REPAIRS AND FOR REPAINTING AND NO THE POOLS DIDNT COME OUT OF THE GROUND YET?
Fixing hoses with leaks connected to filter
Posted 4/18/2009 1:17:54 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Is there a recommendation for replacing hoses that sprung a leak? Is there an easy way to replace the sand in our filter? We are not handyman types and need direction or suggestion for pool company in Central Illinois.

John G. 5/1/2009 2:54:28 PM    Reply
Sand bed replacement: To replace filter sand, you'll first need to empty out the existing sand. One method is to spread a tarp out beneath the filter drain assembly. Then remove the entire assembly, turn on the pump, and step back! The water pumping through the filter will remove most of the sand out the drain hole. Another method is to remove the drain plug only and allow the filter to drain for several hours or days. Then, remove the top dome or multiport valve. If you have the Triton style dome on the top of the filter, you'll need the octagonal dome wrench to remove the dome. Once the dome is removed, gently twist the baffle/pipe out of the way so you can get a scoop to the sand. If you have a Top Mount Multiport, you may need to cut some pipes to remove the valve. You can reconnect them later with unions or couplings. Once these pipes are cut, the clamp band connecting the valve to the filter is removed, and the valve pulls straight up and off. Plug or tape or cover the standpipe so you don't spill sand in it. Then you can use a shop vacuum to suck out the sand, or you can use a small cup to scoop out the sand. Be very careful as you scoop or suck, not to knock or break the laterals at the bottom of the tank. They can be brittle when the get older, and it may be wise to replace laterals at the time you replace the filter sand. Use a hose to wash out the sand beneath the laterals. When the tank is empty of sand, replace the drain assembly, using silicone sealant on the threads. Then add enough water to cover the laterals, so the new sand pouring in won't crack them. Again, if you have the top mounted multiport, cover the standpipe opening. If you have a side mounted filter valve, gently push the intake baffle to one side, or wrap the baffle with a small plastic bag to keep the sand from entering the pipe as you pour it in. Pour it in! Use only specially graded pool filter sand; #20 silica sand, 45 - 55 mm. On top mounted multiport filters, use care to keep the lateral/ hub assembly in the center, and on the bottom of the tank. After each bag of sand is added, make sure it is still centered. It may be useful to have a helper hold the standpipe in place while the sand is added. Add the recommended amount of sand only; more is not better! If you don't know this info, contact your dealer or manufacturer. Most tanks are filled only about 2/3 of the way full, to leave enough "freeboard" space on top. When full, lube o-rings and reassemble filter top. Make sure lid is very secure, lids that blow off can be very dangerous. It's a good idea to replace the o-ring on the filter domes. When the filter is started up, start up on "RINSE" setting first (if you have a multiport valve). Then backwash and rinse again. If you have a push-pull valve, backwash first. This final step will prevent putting a lot of "sand dust" into the pool after a sand change.
Why is my in-ground covered pool black when we open it in the spring but sometimes crystal clear?
Posted 4/9/2009 5:27:46 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We have an in-ground pool which hold 40,000 gal water. We have it closed professionally in the fall and some times when we open it in the spring it is crystal clear but at other times it is black and needs lots of chemicals to clear it up. What makes the difference? mb from Connecticut

Anonymous 4/13/2009 9:52:09 AM    Reply
The weather, and the algaecide added when the pool is closed is what makes the difference. If the warm weather sets in early, or lasts after the pool is closed, then there is a greater chance of algae starting. The best thing to do, is keep an eye on the pool water starting in March. many people add another dose of algaecide in March to prevent spring algae. Thanks
fiberglass pool problem
Posted 4/6/2009 6:29:43 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a pebble colored fiberglass pool and when the water level is low or I drain it just a little there is a white film left on the walls of the pool. I can't seem to remove it. Any Ideas out there?

Anonymous 4/13/2009 9:42:21 AM    Reply
Coule be a couple things. Sometimes, that is the first place the fiberglass will start to wear. It could also be calcium deposits, that can be removed with a light acid rinse. John
Anonymous 7/6/2009 4:56:09 PM    Reply
Fungi. Take a shower once in a while!
Steel Pool
Posted 4/1/2009 1:19:21 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Recently bought a house with an inground pool. Sides are stainless steel and bottom is cement. No liner. It seems to be more of an industrial pool than regular. If you have one of these or know about them, what is the best care/chemicals to go with when we get it open this spring??

John G. 4/2/2009 9:39:31 AM    Reply
Those type of pools were very popular in the 60's and 70's. There were several different builders throughout the years. The first thing you need to know, is does it hold water? Is The filter equipment functional? If so, then a regular chlorine maintenance program will work fine for your new pool. Keep Us Posted John G.
Anonymous 4/2/2009 12:41:09 PM    Reply
Thanks for the info- I am pretty sure it was installed late 60's early 70's. It seems to be in good condition just needs some TLC. Holds water good as far as we can tell. I think we will need to get a new pump this year. We played with it a little last year at the end of the season, so we are not sure yet. Would like to know if anybody else has one too.
Anonymous 4/18/2009 7:07:37 PM    Reply
Not a problem. Drian, power wash mild acid wash and the neighobrs will be in envey. Don't forgrt to pop the plug!! Drain all the way. It takes one day but you will be happy with the outcome.
Anonymous 3/30/2010 3:55:47 PM    Reply
That is NOT a steel and concrete pool! What you have is a vinyl liner pool that had the liner removed. That pool will not hold water well and will be very dirty all the time. You need a new liner installed, they are pretty cheap and will make your pool experience fantastic. The water will not leak, and it will look much like a crystal clear plaster pool.
Sand Filter pressure gets LOWER, the dirtier it gets...
Posted 3/5/2009 1:19:31 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a 10 year old inground pool with an oversized sand filter which has never had the sand changed in it before. Over the last year I've noticed when the sand gets dirty (from regular filtration) the pressure of my pump "decreases", instead of increasing like it would normally do. When I backwash the pressure goes back up to it's regular setting. I have changed out the pressure value and it's still reading the same. I am planning on changing out the sand in the next couple of weeks and am hoping this will fix the problem, but it there anything else that I should look for that may also be causing this problem? Any help would be appreciated Rae S. in Mesa AZ

John G. 3/12/2009 4:25:38 PM    Reply
In all my years in the pool business, I have never heard of this problem. I do know, that 10 years is too long for filter sand. Change the sand, and replace the pressure gauge, and you should be OK. John Galcius
Anonymous 8/24/2009 4:10:45 PM    Reply
I had the same problem. It ended up being a cracked piece of plastic in the base that holds the center pipe. The water was coming up through the pipe directtly instead of going up through the laterals. You need to buy the whole lateral assembly as they do not just sell the bottom base. It could also be that your sand is so clumped (>10 years) that the water channels through the filter instead of filtering through it, decreasing the pressure as time goes on. By backwashing you remove the channel, but it forms almost immediately once you start filtering again. In any case, your filter is not working over the last year if the pressure goes down.

Posted 1/11/2009 7:05:37 PM by Anonymous    Reply
the 1 1/2cage on the bottom of my pool has broken off. how do I remove the rest of it which screws in? Ida from houston

Coping Turning White
Posted 1/7/2009 4:12:42 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I am a new pool owner and our pool is only 3 Months old. The pool Coping is a Green Slate Color Ruff. The section around the spa where we have a foutian and the section around the entrance Gushers the stone has turned white. I have rinsed and brushed to try to get the color back but it only stays green when the Coping is wet. The rest of the pool coping is fine a little calcium here and there but nothing like around the areas I have listed. How do I clean the Coping? Do I get the Pool Builder involved? I have a Salt Water pool and the builder did seal the Coping. So I am at a Lost on what to do. Thank You for any help!

John G. 3/13/2009 4:35:00 PM    Reply
Give the pool and spa coping a light acid rinse. That should return the luster.
Anonymous 5/18/2009 7:52:41 PM    Reply
I have the same issue. A light acid rinse of what ??????????
Swimming Pool Basketball
Posted 1/6/2009 10:07:48 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Curious to hear from those of you who have basketball goals on the edge of your in-ground pool. I'd like to know your thoughts on swimming pool hoops....pros, cons, etc? Up until remedied the "out of the pool basketballs", I was not having much fun.

Anonymous 4/5/2009 6:38:20 PM    Reply
I was looking for the same opinions...did you buy one? Wendy
Anonymous 8/9/2009 11:20:42 AM    Reply
Wendy: If you have a basketball goal now and are tired of fetching the balls all of the time, go to www.sportsbackstops.com. They have your solution for this problem and it works..! Ron
pool business
Posted 1/4/2009 7:31:26 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have an indoor pool and would like to start a business, teaching swim lessons, or opening up a spa, or something interesting. Does anyone have any ideas of how to start this.

on the edge
Posted 9/16/2008 8:09:16 PM by Anonymous    Reply
my hubby laid stone around our pool (cemented) and it comes somewhat unevenly to the edge around the pool. I wanted to place something over the edge, like coping, but I can't find anything like that. It would have to be flexible. Any suggestions? Julie

John G. 11/14/2008 3:08:22 PM    Reply
How about grinding, or cutting the stone. It's not as hard as it sounds.
Anonymous 5/8/2009 4:09:53 PM    Reply
can you post picture
Sunscreen film on pool surface
Posted 8/1/2008 5:41:06 PM by Anonymous    Reply
New to pool caretaking and am faced with a skim of sunscreen on the pool surface. How to we get rid of this?

John G. 8/26/2008 12:03:42 PM    Reply
What you need is Pool Perfect. Just click the enclosed link http://www.poolcenter.com/chemicals_poolstor_natural_chemistry.htm
Anonymous 7/6/2009 3:33:03 PM    Reply
You faver skim assy. in the skimmer needs to be cleaned. Do this with faver cleanse or water with picrind.
Paster froze the night of application. Will this cause problems?
Posted 7/23/2008 11:04:37 PM by Anonymous    Reply
My pool was plastered and froze (bottom of the bowl)before they finished the next morning. What are if any problems that may arise from this?

Anonymous 7/8/2009 1:11:30 PM    Reply
sounds like you're plastered!
Pool without pump.
Posted 7/17/2008 6:28:26 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have just built an inground pool and I haven't bought a pump yet. I tried make it work without a pump but it is not working-- I have to change water every week. That is not a big problem because I have enough water supply but the water is to cold, after I fill it up I have to wait two or three days until it gets a bit warmer and till it does so, comes the time to change water because it becomes green. I ave bought three components chlorine, PH and algacide, I want o know if this components work withoutpump. (I have a pump which makes the water circle but it doesn't filter it, it just circles it.)

Anonymous 5/24/2010 4:08:36 PM    Reply
I know this post is old, but are you for real? I can't believe anyone would keep draining and refilling a pool every week. If a person was smart enough to build an inground swimming pool and not install a pump and filter they should just fill it with dirt and call it a day. Just kidding, but I couldn't believe the post when I read it. There has to be circuilation and filteration or you'll have nothing but problems. The volume of water in the pool should circulate at least once every day to have any chance of properly balanced pool water. My suggestion is to buy a pump, some sort of filter, (sand is the easist to maintain) and a good test kit The Taylor K2006 is a great one and the manual that comes with it will give you the background in water chemisty to get started on the right foot. Good Luck! Sorry for the
Aquabot?
Posted 6/28/2008 10:30:04 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We are thinking of buying an Aquabot. Is it worth to pay 899?

John G. 6/30/2008 11:31:29 AM    Reply
The Aquabot is one of the most dependable robotic cleaners available. The design, and simplicity make it very popular. OK?
Anonymous 5/29/2010 3:05:51 PM    Reply
Definitely. We bought ours 3 years ago and is the best investment. It gets the sand and dirt off the bottom and is great for opening with (worms!) debribe. Saves time.
Anonymous 8/5/2010 5:27:27 PM    Reply
You should buy The Tiger Shark from Hayward. Much better.
Replacement Pool Cover
Posted 6/22/2008 2:01:07 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Need to replace - "saveT Cover II - Undertrack System Pool cover 17'-7" X 40' 16 oz. or 20 oz. fabric

item number 6608
Posted 6/13/2008 9:29:43 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I am looking into Deck Kote item number 6608. I have kool deck around my pool and want to add to my patio area. Is the item number 6608 what I would need to put on over concrete and will this keep patio surface cooler like the kool deck?

John G. 6/30/2008 11:34:08 AM    Reply
The Deck Kote rocks. Easy to apply, looks good and lasts a long time, but like any paint job, proper preperation is key.
Expansion Joint Caulking and Paver Stones
Posted 6/12/2008 6:46:42 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We are having our concrete deck around our pool replaced with paver stones. The paver company says that we don't need expansion joint caulking between the coping and paver stones but others have told me that we should still caulk between them. Who is right?

Anonymous 6/12/2008 8:49:59 PM    Reply
Pavers allow water to seep through their joints so applying caulking between them and the coping would only restrict water at that joint. Water would still get in through the adjacent joints (that are not caulked).
looking for answers
Posted 6/9/2008 8:44:56 PM by Anonymous    Reply
can,t seem to get my hayward xstream filter to run right not enough pressure

John G. 6/30/2008 11:35:40 AM    Reply
Low pressure? Look for an air leak, in the pump, or plumbing in front of it. Also, check to see if the pump impeller is clogged.
Yippee! I finally discovered the Aqua Check Digital Test Stip Reader
Posted 5/19/2008 10:11:06 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I am soooo glad I found this item! I own an in-ground pool. My house is the "summer place to be" (I wonder why?) and I have the laziest teen-aged son in the world. I am visually impaired so I really can't judge the "traditional" test strip readings. NOw I can finally test the water myself. I find up-keep and putting the chemicals in easy enough if I am careful... But when it came time to do my "daily check" ... I was in trouble. Anyway... So glad to have found this product. Carla in VA

When the Pool Cleaner stops moving
Posted 4/30/2008 9:16:12 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Hi, Just thought I'd share what I thought could be a big problem, but turned out not to be. My Polaris 180 (yeah, still running after 20 years and several rebuilds), which runs off a dedicated pump, stopped moving around the pool one time recently. I feared the pump had failed me, or the return line was leaking somewhere. However the cause was simply a clog at the screen inside the pool-side connector for the hose. I simply had to uncouple the hose, pull out and clean the screen, and everything was back in business. Gotta love those quick, easy answers! Scott in CA

John G. 6/30/2008 11:42:35 AM    Reply
Great point. Let's make today "Clean the Strainer on Our Automatic Cleaner day"
Anonymous 10/11/2008 1:37:28 PM    Reply
I've had my Polaris 180 for almost 20 years and never really liked the strainer, so I took it out after a year or 2. No strainer to get clogged and it's never had a problem! John C. from Boston
Anonymous 10/11/2008 1:40:06 PM    Reply
I forgot to mention that I replaced the booster pump last year, so you are probably getting close. Heck, it lasted 18 seasons and I was able to get one from Pools AZ, in Phoenix, for $234, with free shipping. John C. from Boston

Post a comment
Title:

Comments:

Enter number shown above: