Pool Community

Professional Pool Technicians (Pool Techs)

This is a group area for all things relating to servicing, cleaning, maintaining, draining, etc. of swimming pools.  Let us know your secrets and we'll share ours with you.  Invite other techs. into the discussion on topics; such as, the best way to hose off a grid assembly (firehose!).  Your way to keep your customer's water clear, not foamy.  When painting a pool, some things to be aware of?  The best tools?  How far a bucket, some channel locks, and some duct-tape will go towards repairing a filtration system?  You share it and others will join, share their experience and we'll create a place to come for some good down-home stories. 

Click on a STAR and give it YOUR rating?
  • Currently 3/5 Stars.

Help my cell is sparking
Posted 4/24/2016 11:11:56 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Hi all Im sure this is not ok but I noticed last night when I was resetting the timer that there was little sparks in the cell. All the plates are apart and not touching. I have no idea what to do... Please someone help me :)

Help my cell is sparking
Posted 4/24/2016 11:05:41 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Hi all Im sure this is not ok but I noticed last night when I was resetting the timer that there was little sparks in the cell. All the plates are apart and not touching. I have no idea what to do... Please someone help me :)

Anonymous 5/2/2016 3:20:42 AM    Reply
My suggestion would be if the two leads going into your cell aren't blue from ph copper Fallout then your cell is so dirty it's making a connection somewhere. clean your cell or replace it!
Dirt coming out of pool return and spa returns
Posted 4/13/2016 12:23:22 AM by Anonymous    Reply
There is dirt coming out of my spa and pool returns? Also my spa drains into the pool after it is turned off? Does anyone know the cause or if they are related problems?

Anonymous 5/2/2016 3:25:39 AM    Reply
Your main problem is your spa's check valve has failed. you also may have a ripped grid in your filter (ie.... the dirt!) you'll need to replace the check valve and have your filter cleaned if it's being anywhere neree six months since the last cleaning! And FYI.... It diametric earth,not dirt!
Ph level and purple flagstone discoloration
Posted 7/25/2015 3:59:04 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a salt system pool with spa spilling over into the pool. The spa has a tan flagstone wall for the water to flow down into the pool. Some time ago the pH got well off balance and the flagstone turned purple. When I moved the pH to the other extreme it cleared up the discoloration. Now it's happened again and I don't remember which direction to move the pH. Any explanation on the stone discoloration vs. pH level? Which pH direction should I go to clear this up? Thx

Anonymous 8/1/2015 11:18:32 PM    Reply
Since no help on this forum I tried adding acid to a patch of purple rock (lower pH). cleared it up some (purple changed to tan). Now lowering the pH in the pool to get the purple to go away. Thx, anyway, tech help.
Anonymous 1/20/2016 12:01:10 AM    Reply
What you have is called purple cyanuric. There are a couple of things that you need to check. Make sure that your conditioner level is between 60-80ppm. Also maintain a proper pH level. Try and keep it on the lower side of the ideal range preferably 7.2-7.4 just to clear it up. Also there may be copper present in the water so refrain from using any copper based algecides or other chemicals that contain copper. If your conditioner level is beyond 100 you may have to partially drain the pool and refill with fresh water. A combination of high levels of cyanuric acid, a high ph, and possible copper in the water are the ingredients for this unwelcoming blemish on the pool walls and fittings, or what ever the water touches or flows over. Hope this was a help.
sand filter leaking
Posted 7/13/2015 9:33:31 PM by Anonymous    Reply
there has been alot of water around the filter pump area , at first we thought oh no we have a leak in the pool, but I found where it was coming from. It is spitting out the bottom of the sand filter from the bolt on the bottom, can this be fixed and how?

White Powder From Return
Posted 7/3/2015 9:56:44 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a salt pool. The water tests well within range. I am getting a white crystal like substance from my return. The salt cell is getting a build up of what looks like the same substance. Nobody can explain it. Any odeas?

Anonymous 9/30/2015 6:47:29 PM    Reply
I had similar problem. Found to be scale build up (not calcium). Caused by mineral level in the pool water. It caused havoc to the sale cell. I added a metal sequestration agent (jacks magic) to reduce levels, and it cleared up.
Anonymous 5/2/2016 3:31:13 AM    Reply
Also,keep your ph 7.2-7.6 range when using a salt system, it'll help avoid calcium, scale, and all issues in General
pool pump
Posted 6/20/2015 1:25:02 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a pent air fns plus...pool pilot digital and the motor comes on for about 15 seconds then shuts off and the pump is not coming on at all. The contraol panel reads the pump as being on. What is causing this/

Pentair system. Clorinator trips
Posted 4/20/2015 10:16:11 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I had the transformer replaced it works for 5 minutes then trips again. Very frustrating. I even put a ne cell on same thing happens

FLO problems
Posted 4/17/2015 11:37:33 AM by Anonymous    Reply
How would you know if your lines are glogged and how would you unglog them

Exposing pebble tech to sun?
Posted 3/26/2015 8:52:15 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We just drained our salt water pool. How long can it be without water flowing thru it? I don't want it to be empty for any long period of time. Maybe a week at the most. I want to get someone in to clean it in a few days. Please help.

Colin
Posted 12/9/2014 4:26:49 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Zodiac TRi saltwater chlorinator - the self cleaning cell only last for just over three years (thus the 3 year warranty. Consumers should be made aware of this up front.

circulation issue
Posted 10/15/2014 8:21:43 AM by Anonymous    Reply
One day I found the pool empty because some one left the waste line open all night long after this I added fresh water and started the pumps but since then my salt system is getting a lot of dirt in the screener causing low flow and it will stop working this is happening every day I wonder if the filters are the problem I have two giant sand filters that I changed sand about 5 months ago, I cant get the pool to be cristal clear like it was before

Spa jets weak
Posted 9/17/2014 7:18:02 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Hi, I have an in-ground spa and jacuzzi. A few weeks ago, the jacuzzi jets got real weak (almost 0 PSI in the Spa). When I drain the spa to just below the jets and turn on the Spa, the jets work. As they get covered with water when re-filling, the pressure is dramatically reduced. It seems like there is something restricting the pressure to the spa. Cleaned the filter (was dirty), noticed stronger pressure on the inlet side of the Triton Mini Max than on the outlet. Remove the inlet/outlet connection and found some pieces of PVC on the inlet side. Could there be a flow restriction inside the heater? If so, any way to test/repair?

Aqualink by Zodiac technician needed
Posted 9/2/2014 2:35:36 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I need to have someone who knows what they are doing to help me set up the Aquarite pool controls. I've downloaded the app on my phone, but everytime I try to connect I get a runtime error and it says "system offline". I live in Cedar Park 78613 close to Lakeline Mall. Help!

above ground hayward pump leak from bolt beneath the leaf basket
Posted 6/18/2014 7:09:53 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have just discovered a small drip coming from the bolt below the leaf basket on my hayward pump (for an above ground pool). I tried tightening it but it; and, it did rotate slightly but it still drips slowly. Can I remove that bolt, wrap it in teflon tape and retighten? (i am not sure what that bolt is for and that it is not connected to something else inside (female with NO mechanical ability). thank you.

aux pump turns on and off
Posted 6/16/2014 4:07:37 PM by Anonymous    Reply
my aux pump will turn itself off and on in 5 to 15 second intervals.this will happen for a few minutes and then back to normal.the pump omly runs a water fall feature.i have a aqua logic system.

dirt coming out of jet
Posted 6/14/2014 6:34:49 PM by Anonymous    Reply
every time i vacuum the pool dirt comes out of the jet and i dont know how to fix it

Anonymous 6/22/2014 9:11:01 AM    Reply
I had the same problem. I had a Hayward fiber filter system. It seems over time the fiberglass filter housing has distorted and left openings in the seal around the bottom where the filter sets into the housing. I fixed the problem with a 4 inch flat rubber seal that is used to seal kitchen sink drains to the kitchen sink. Cost about 3.00 and now the water must go through the filter.
Anonymous 8/16/2014 3:04:52 PM    Reply
Do you have a diatomaceous earth filter? If so, may be holes in your grids. It's have to be taken apart and hosed off, then inspected. Tiny holes rip into the material of the grids over time and can cause that. Could also be cracked manifold, the two plastic pieces holding grids together.
empty jacuzzi
Posted 5/24/2014 12:37:27 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a jacuzzi that runs into my pool. I left the hose running in my pool and the water level is now almost to the edge of the pool. Then I look over and the jacuzzi is completely empty. I don't know why this happened and I am freaking out

salt pool cell
Posted 4/26/2014 4:13:34 AM by Anonymous    Reply
After cleaning my pool cell today by dipping in acid when I put it all together again and turned the filter back on the cell was like sparking. So I turned it off again. Did I damage something electrical??? I've done nothing different today that I haven't done before over like 15 years

Anonymous 8/16/2014 3:08:56 PM    Reply
You've been getting lucky for like 15 years if you've been putting it in straight acid? You have to dilute it by pouring it into a bucket of water. Then you can sit the salt cell into it for 5-10 minutes. You definitely have a bad salt cell if it was sparking and thankfully no one was in the pool.
Autoclear saying low salt
Posted 4/13/2014 12:24:56 PM by Anonymous    Reply
The Autoclear will not stay on because it keeps saying low salt. I have added plenty of salt and readings are indicating more than enough salt. What could be wrong.

Chlorine tablet eaten lining of spa
Posted 3/29/2014 6:37:35 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Hi can you please help. I accidentally put a pool tablet rather than spa tablet in the spa and it has bubbled the surface of the spa seat causing it to discolour to yellow. It feels really rough in this area. What can I do to ensure the integrity of the spa? Can it be resurfaced in this area

pool light
Posted 3/10/2014 5:52:37 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have installed a new bulb in my pool and it keeps turning off and on. What is the problem?

Anonymous 6/17/2014 12:39:17 AM    Reply
you may have a leak in the seal did you put a new seal on it
Triton 2 sand filter blew up
Posted 2/12/2014 10:40:15 AM by Anonymous    Reply
What would cause my filter to blow up? the filter is 9 years of age and I've never had any issues with pressure. (Triton 2 sand filter side mounted) I backwashed when needed at a difference of 7 to 9 psi difference. This morning I came into the hotel and noticed it was spewing water against the wall. After inspection, I noticed a 3 inch split in the filter. I've now emptied the sand and I'm awaiting for my new filter. What can I do to prevent this from happening? Any advice anyone? Thanks so very much!

Anonymous 2/13/2014 7:51:52 AM    Reply
Hello it sounds to me like you either had a previous small crack on the filter, you didn't rinse the sand often enough so the sand got compacted; it can settle and be as hard as rock if you are only letting water flow one way through sand filters for too long. Another possibility is a sudden return side blockage; but that is hard to come by. The last thing i can thing of would be someone tampering with the spider valve while the system is on could definitely blow something up. When you install your new filter, start with some fresh sand, remember what the pressure is at once its installed and make sure you rinse and backwash when necessary. how high was the pressure under a normal day? most systems stay around 15-34 psi if properly maintained. 40 psi its starts to get dangerous. hope this helps
pool pop ups
Posted 1/20/2014 12:09:12 PM by Anonymous    Reply
What hp in a pump is needed to operate pop ups in my pool? I've been told that 1hp isn't enough. Is that correct?

Anonymous 2/13/2014 7:36:22 AM    Reply
Generally 1 hp is not enough to properly activate the "caretaker" system. It depends on alot of factors on what the minimum you need would be. Size of pool(gal.), size of piping, depth of pool, things like caretakers, pool/spa or pool only. generally you are looking between a 1.5hp and 2hp with caretakers, If the reason is high energy cost,you can save a bit of money from energy cost by buying a 2 speed. pump but you need a 2 speed timer as well. If you have the cash the best option for long term is buying a Variable speed like intelliflo, its a 3hp but the energy costs are incredible. it pays for itself in 1.5-2 years from savings if setup properly. I believe the manufacturer warranty on a new one is 3 years. another plus is its built-in timer and pump protect features on different models.
Autoclear plus salt cell leaks water
Posted 2/7/2013 6:47:31 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I want to remove the screwed-on cover of my Polaris AutoclearPlus salt cell in order to seal a water leak. Currently, water spews out through the cell cover secured by about 10 screws. Is there any potential damage to the cell by removing the cover, or can parts fall out that would be difficult to put back?

Anonymous 5/12/2013 7:34:38 PM    Reply
I had the same problem in February 2013. I suspect I am responding now to my own post. In any event, I discovered the ten or so metal plates inside the cell are a house of cards that are loosely placed in channels. The trick is to line up the cards so they fit snuggly within the individual channels on the top that is removed and the bottom. Further, you have to remember the location of each metal plate in respect to the other. There are more channels than plates. I made a jig out of cardboard to hold the plates in place while I reattached the top. Leak is stopped now. Do not recommend anyone trying this unless they have considerable patience and are handy with tools. It's a little like building a ship inside a bottle.
green algae coming out of the jets after bumping the filter
Posted 6/17/2012 9:08:49 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We moved into a 20 year` old house, and I am sure the pool & filter is as old as the house.I have a Hayward Perflex DE filter, and it runs at about 20-25 pounds pressure for a while, then after a few hours of operating, it goes to about 30 pounds of pressure. I bump the filter about 3 or 4 times, and the pressure goes back down to 20 pounds of pressure, but when the water comes out of the jets it is dirty. it looks like algae, but it may be mixed with the earth from the filter. it comes out for about 10-15 seconds and then turns clear. it seems to happen every time I bump the filter. I completely drained the filter, and put new earth in it, and it seemed fine for a week or so, then it started to happen again. Do I need to get a new filter, or replace a part ? I hope it is an easy fix. please let me know. Thank you, Joe

Anonymous 9/6/2012 4:42:38 PM    Reply
Okay well there could be a couple of problems with your DE filter. Number one you could have a tiny hole in one of your grids which would cause dirt and junk to get through. So when you bump it it cause the dirt to come lose and go through that tiny hole. Another problem could be the manifold on the top. There should be a plastic thing on top that holds everything down. it could be loose or have a crack underneath it. another thing that could be causing it to do this is there is a little antenna type thing on the top that could be loose or have a whole in it as well. Your best bet is to call a technician to come out there.

Posted 6/6/2012 3:41:50 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a communication err 2 on my aqua logics ps 4 controls. The pumps come on at the pre programed time only, Cannot access or start anything on the controls.

Pentair Minimax Plus 400 - Not igniting
Posted 2/26/2012 8:46:38 PM by Anonymous    Reply
The Service light comes on along with all the other lights. According to the manual, the TFuse is an open circuit. I checked the igniter. It is "clicking" and creating a spark. I smelt the pilot tube and did not smell any gas. Is this really a "Thermal Fuse" issue?

stra rite spa sensor open
Posted 2/10/2012 5:59:45 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Install a new heater. This spa sensor open indicator came on. Any solutions.

Hayward pool heater
Posted 1/1/2012 11:19:41 PM by Anonymous    Reply
My Hayward pool heater keeps shutting off after about 60 seconds. Any ideas?

Anonymous 4/10/2013 11:41:47 PM    Reply
It may be the thermistor or the bypass valve in the header.
how long to wait before heating pool after pebble-tec is done?
Posted 11/19/2011 9:12:13 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Do you have to wait 30 days to heat your pool and spa after the pebble-tec finish is done? Thanks

ingroung spa won't operate when turned, jets will not produce any pressure
Posted 9/13/2011 7:23:59 PM by Anonymous    Reply
my inground spa works sometimes works with in minutes and emits great pressure via its jets on other times it takes about 15 minutes, i have replaced the diverters in the system, could you please help. could the filters need to be changed as the pressure is 30psi, thank you

heater control panel not responding
Posted 5/30/2011 2:41:35 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a Sta-Rite sn200 pool heater. It will come on when I turn the breaker on but I can only turn it off the same way. Has my control board gone bad? Thanks Bruce

MiniMax NT Blower
Posted 5/7/2011 11:58:16 AM by Anonymous    Reply
fan error code comes up-took out fan,started heater-fan tries to star but can't, but if I give it a little spin manually it starts--an elec motor problem? BTW if I spin it backwards it starts up that way too...

Anonymous 5/21/2011 5:49:19 AM    Reply
Replace the fan motor capacitor.
Auto Clear Plus Salt Cell
Posted 4/28/2011 12:14:11 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I just replaced my Auto Clear Plus Salt Cell. My new cell is not creating chlorine. The readings are saying 4100 Salt, 3.3 and 28.1. Any ideas on how to get the new cell to create chlorine would be greatly appreciated. I drained the pool over winter and only added a1/2 a bag of salt.

Anonymous 5/4/2011 11:01:59 AM    Reply
You need 25 lbs of salt of every 1000 gallons of water. Take a sample of your water to pool store to have salt level checked. I have learned not to believe what the panel says.
purex triton minimax plus 400
Posted 4/14/2011 11:27:11 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Why wont my heater fire up? The ignitor just ticks and ticks and ticks. I checked the ignitor and it has spark. the gas is on and coming out of the gas orfice. I just dont know why it wont start. Any suggestions?

Anonymous 2/26/2012 8:37:42 PM    Reply
Did you get this sorted out? If so, what was the problem? I have the same problem, but with the pentair minimax plus 400. PS "ticking" is the igniter, I just don't have any gas coming down from MOV.
Pentair Minimax NT heater
Posted 4/24/2010 11:09:57 PM by Anonymous    Reply
The heater is showing --- and then 888. I can turn the power off and then back on and the message appears over and over. Any suggestions?

dirt and algae
Posted 4/13/2010 2:07:01 AM by Anonymous    Reply
i have a problem when i vaculm my pool .dirt and algae come back PLEASE HELP ...what do i do... i have cleaned out the filter.. soaked over night and hosed it out... and algae still comes back when i vaculm pool out now pool is green crap

Anonymous 4/21/2010 7:16:13 PM    Reply
increase clorien to a dark orange color, brush daily, let filter run at least24 to 48 HRS, should go away.. BUT make sure its not a chemistry problem FIRST. take to nearest pool store for water testing P.S.. non clorien shock works GREAT as well
Anonymous 4/21/2010 7:28:24 PM    Reply
if dirt comes back threw the jets, then one of two things.. the algae killer you used may be cloggen your filter and filter can only take so much before shooting right back out. SECOND you could also have a air leak between the INTAKE of the pump and filter.. check BOTH replys
akcac96@hotmail.com 9/9/2010 12:09:12 PM    Reply
will try hope it works thanks
Anonymous 5/6/2010 2:35:25 PM    Reply
i found that my pool had high phosphates and once i got that under control it was smooth sailing..
Anonymous 5/30/2010 6:38:02 AM    Reply
Shock It
akcac96@hotmail.com 9/9/2010 12:11:23 PM    Reply
all ready tried didnt work shocked and alge eater tring gaskets now
Anonymous 6/10/2010 9:48:06 AM    Reply
The seal inside the selector valve on the top of your filter has failed, allowing the dirty water to bypass the filter.
Anonymous 7/27/2010 3:53:34 AM    Reply
check top manifold
Anonymous 3/10/2011 1:26:17 PM    Reply
You probably have what is know as "blow by". this is a result in the filter media having a hole in it. Sounds like you have a cartridge filter, and depending on the age, how it was maintaned, it is not filtering the water correctly i.e. letting dirt, debris and bacteria back into the water. Since you have actually seen dirt and algae return to your pool you should first replace the filter element with a new one,then work on the algae problem. Once the new filter is in, I recomend Tri-_chlor to eraticate the bacteria. Then brush the entire pool. Adjust your P.H. to 7.0 - 7.2 ( low P.H. helps the hypochlorus acid work more efficiantly) let your filter run continualy for 24-48 hours. Clean the filter when the pressure reaches 6-8 PSI above the normal operating pressure (clean filter PSI). Then add a coagulant to help clearify the water.Keep cleaning filter until problem is solved.
Anonymous 3/24/2011 8:10:04 PM    Reply
Sounds like a filtration problem on top of a water sanitation problem. You need your Cynauric Acid tested. It may be easier to drain your pool and start over. http://jobespools.com
Anonymous 2/13/2014 7:20:57 AM    Reply
When you say "dirt and algae come back" It sounds like your filter isn't working properly, Whatever you vacuum up should stay in the filter if its working properly If you have a cartridge filter you may have broken or cracked plastic,or need new cartridges; If you have a DE Filter it may be cracked or need new grids aswell, even small holes in a DE filter's mesh on the grids can cause this. this problem is called "passing" as in your filter is passing dirt and algae into the pool its not catching it all. When you vaccum check out your return jets and see if its clean looking water while you vac over dirty spots- or if what you vac just comes right back in to the pool then you know your problem. A phosphate problem is possible but it sounds like your filter isn't working to its fullest either. to help prevent phosphates keep leaf matter and dirt out of your pool as much as possible.
STA_RITE pool heater won't run
Posted 2/21/2010 1:55:24 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Just tried to run the heater to check it out while filter system is running. The bubble (?) buttons don't seem to work very well but the heater started up after about 30 secs. of holding the 'pool on' button. The nat gas started & only ran for about 1 minute before the system stopped and turned on the 'service heater' lite. I pressed the off button for a while but it stayed in error mode & wouldn't shut down. Any ideas of what to do next?

Anonymous 2/28/2010 12:15:43 AM    Reply
You should never have to hold down a button. Once you press it you send a signal though the heater letting it know to start the sequence. I would pull the control display PCB board out and check it for water damage, dirt and corrosion. Also check all the wiring harnesses and make sure everything nothing is making a loose connection. I would start there first. Then start checking the pressure sensors and high limit switches.
Anonymous 3/1/2010 9:54:29 PM    Reply
I have no documentation on this unit. I don't even have a drawing showing the teardown procedure. Is any of this available on line? The button problem is likely an interconnection problem caused by dust/corrosion & would like to remove/reseat the board & retry startup. After holding a button for several seconds it may respond. Got it to start up then was able to increase/decreas temp via buttons but with much difficulty & several tries. Need to see dwg to open unit up & chk the ckt brd.

Posted 2/10/2010 6:30:02 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a inground pool built in 06 . My plaster is so ruff..on the entire pool. steps. and bottom..what causes this and how do i correct it.

Anonymous 3/23/2010 3:23:19 PM    Reply
Improper chemistry is your cause, water is the perfect solvent, meaning given enough time, it will dissolve ANYTHING. (Look what the CO river did for the Grand Canyon) Anyhow, the plaster in your pool is calcium based (vary alkaline) and your water has a need for proper balance and if you don't supplement with the right chemicals ( not just chlorine) the water will take what it needs from it's environment i.e. your plaster. If you re-plaster your pool you will waste your money if you don't keep your chemicals in check because it will happen again! Chemistry First amigo... :)

Posted 1/26/2010 4:06:05 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I am a pool tech in CA. Having problems with a Sta Rite 400 cuper- nickel heater. It is about six to seven months old and it stopped working. I believe the blower burnt out, but there is also leaking in and around where the blower is attached to the heat exchanger. Is there something besides the heat exchanger that could be leaking? The chemistry has been in the correct ranges, but if the warranty folks find a leak in the heat exchanger they will not cover it (I think). Could it be something else, like bypass valve faulty, gasket, or??? Any input would be helpful. Thanks, chuck

Anonymous 2/27/2010 11:55:57 PM    Reply
I would say take off the outer covers and run the pump and watch to see where the leak is coming from. It may be just a header gasket that could use sum tighening, but Sta-Rite will cover the heater.
Anonymous 3/24/2011 8:16:31 PM    Reply
Contact Sta-Rite or find a Warranty guy that does Sta-Rite warranty work which will be pentair now. If it is leaking already have there been tabs placed in the skimmer basket it seems odd to already be leaking. If it is leaking and it is due to water chemistry Sta-Rite wont cover it. Check with pentair for a local warranty guy. I have a great one in the dallas area.http://www.jobespools.com
Islands Splash - Tybee Island,and Wilmington Island Pool
Posted 7/15/2009 12:05:28 AM by Anonymous    Reply
http://www.islandssplash.com

Anonymous 7/28/2009 4:03:03 AM    Reply
island splash huh??? well quality pool service is invading your area so u better step up your game buddy cause they have you beat on price and labor
Anonymous 7/30/2009 1:01:56 AM    Reply
We welcome you to the area. However, we do offer qualtiy pool service too at competitive rates. Call for a free estimate on weekly service, leak detection, or repair.
inground pool light
Posted 6/22/2009 3:18:06 PM by Anonymous    Reply
98% of the time light doesn't work but will just turn on by itself. There is water behind the lens, could this be why? Also do we have to drain the whole pool to replace it. It's in the 8ft deep end?

Anonymous 8/2/2009 9:55:48 PM    Reply
YOU HAVE TO REPLACE the bulb and the gasket..there should be no water in the light..a very dangerous situation..there should be 1 screw holding the light in at the 12:00 position and some cable slack behind the light. Pull the light out and replace it along with the gasket
Anonymous 12/1/2009 7:58:28 PM    Reply
you should turn the breaker off before removal
Anonymous 2/28/2010 12:05:12 AM    Reply
Also if the light is coming on by itself I bet you have an X-10 switch controlling the circut. If so you may remove it or just change the channel. There are two dials red and black just click it to tne next channel. The neighbor could have their garage door opener on the same channel. Also you can dive the pool. I just dove a pool this week for 2 lights
New pool owner cleaning question
Posted 6/6/2009 7:33:51 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a pebble tec pool with pop ups,do i still have to manually vacum?

Anonymous 7/28/2009 3:52:29 AM    Reply
yes you do this will only help maintain the pool between cleanings and there will be a prolbem area normally in the deep end or in the break of the pool
Anonymous 3/24/2011 8:19:39 PM    Reply
It is a good theory but I have not seen one of this systems work very well. Most people wind up deactivating them after a few years. All the pools I operate have been deactivated before I every began service http://www.jobespools.com
Please help... really frustrated!!
Posted 6/4/2009 6:11:18 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Pool water is really nice and blue but its foamy on top around the deep end?

Anonymous 8/31/2009 7:15:13 PM    Reply
try balancing your alkalinity and calcium levels
frustrated pool owner
Posted 6/4/2009 11:27:56 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Last year Dec 08, we replaced pool filter and pump, the hardness of the water over the years required a draining and filling, so since pump and filter were 20 plus years old we decided to put a new unit in ( pentair triton II ) no problems with pool prior to new unit being installed, since summer has hit every 2 weeks i have been battling a algea ( green ) problem, the chemicals are right on and everything leads back to the filter ( circulation has not changed from old to new ) even though new sand was put in could i have gotten a bad batch or could it have gone bad? need some suggestions. Thanks Mike

Anonymous 6/21/2009 7:43:57 AM    Reply
The question is not if circulation has not changed from old to new, but if the current circulation time matches the new system's specifications.
Anonymous 11/11/2009 11:18:36 PM    Reply
May be that your not killing the algae in the pool. Routine shock and algeacide is a must. One heavier-than-normal dode may be needed to kill it. Then routine treats. Keep your PH down at bottom of scale for longer periods, will help a bit.
Anonymous 10/21/2010 6:53:21 PM    Reply
check water for phosphates
Cleaning Coping
Posted 6/3/2009 1:04:42 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I have a salt pool and I am geeting a white build up on the Flagstone as well as the Moss rock. Could it salt or calcium and what is the best way to clean it. Thanks Bill D.

Anonymous 7/28/2009 3:54:57 AM    Reply
8 years in business i have found that a 1to 3 acid mix is the best cleaning solution for this issue just make sure that you have a water hose arund to stop the acid from being on there for too long
Anonymous 12/8/2009 2:03:25 PM    Reply
I have the build up on my top pool step. Is there a way to address the build up with out emptying the water?
Can I add salt to my chlorine pool?
Posted 6/2/2009 12:27:05 PM by Anonymous    Reply
My salt chlorinator stopped working,I believe I need a new cell. I talked to my neighbors pool guy and he said to forget about the chlorinator, save my money and just add chlor tabs to skimmmer and add salt to water if I like the feel of it. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks Judy

Anonymous 6/21/2009 7:48:17 AM    Reply
Salt in the water without a generating cell makes no sense to me. Your current cell probably got damaged from poor calcium hardness balance in the water. Somebody didn't do the homework. Guti.
Anonymous 7/1/2009 11:54:33 PM    Reply
Also, putting chlorine tablets in the skimmer is a no-no. They will eat any copper pipes or your heater's copper heat exchanger up. Get a tablet float if you are going to use tablets, and tell your neighbor to get a new poolman. Your cell might just need to be cleaned. Bill
minimax 400 heater cycling
Posted 5/31/2009 11:17:57 PM by Anonymous    Reply
could both hi limit switchs be bad on the heater or is it possible that the heat exchanger is getting up to 150 degrees? Water flow is very good. heater cycles on and off after spa temp starts to get up to aroung 94 degrees.looking for any sugestions

Anonymous 7/28/2009 3:57:03 AM    Reply
please e-amil me at qualitypoolsrv@yahoo,com and i will help you with this issue i have insatlled and worked on over 3000 minimax nt heaters in the past 4 years
Anonymous 4/22/2011 5:51:21 AM    Reply
WOW! Thats a lot of heaters in just 4 years, and one specific model too? This site is pathetic!
Mr Dave
Posted 5/31/2009 10:45:31 PM by Anonymous    Reply
can you replace hi limit switchs on a triton mini max 400 heater

Anonymous 7/28/2009 3:58:10 AM    Reply
yes no problem
what position should I be in ?
Posted 5/29/2009 11:40:10 PM by Anonymous    Reply
should I run my filter on recirculate or filter when running my pool. I know to have it on filter when cleaning the pool, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Anonymous 5/31/2009 11:19:38 PM    Reply
you should keep the valve on filter most of the time while running the pump
Anonymous 6/21/2009 7:51:04 AM    Reply
Filter position ALWAYS. Recirculate is used only if you want to move the water (so as to move chemicals that you applied). It is VERY RARELY used. Guti.
Anonymous 3/24/2011 8:27:24 PM    Reply
You should always run it in the filter mode. The job of the filter is to filter our particles in your pool water. the recirculate mode is for if you have a problem with your filter, trouble shooting, green pool clean up or if you add chemicals. There is no reason to run it in anything other than filter mode in normal operations. http;//www.jobespools.com keller pool cleaning service, keller pool service.
what position should I be in ?
Posted 5/29/2009 11:36:55 PM by Anonymous    Reply
should I run my filter on recirculate or filter when running my pool. I know to have it on filter when cleaning the pool, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Spa light trips GFCI
Posted 5/29/2009 2:38:42 PM by Anonymous    Reply
My pool with built in spa is 10 years old this summer. When I opened it this spring, my spa light trips the GFCI after about 10 seconds of operation. I have replaced the switch and wiring from the circuit breaker to the jucnction box that leads to the underground conduit, I have removed the light from the niche and cleaned it and made sure everything is tight. The lamp had no water in it and the wiring on the back side of the lamp is OK. There is corrosion to the niche though. The bond wire looks OK but I cannot see how it is attached to the niche because it has sealant on it. Any suggestions on where to go next? Do I have to replace the lamp assembly? Could a poor bond connection cause this problem? Thanks.

Anonymous 5/13/2010 1:40:39 AM    Reply
install a new light assembly (can) and GFCI. This will cost you around 230 peanuts compared to the safety and lives of you and your loved ones. if you are a DIY homeowner or a "leslies customer" hire a reputable and experienced pool service pro to install it.
valves on filter
Posted 5/28/2009 8:10:19 PM by Anonymous    Reply
when i put valve in the filter position, it starts to backwash.................................

Anonymous 6/21/2009 7:54:56 AM    Reply
At one point somebody took it apart and put it back together backwards. Just unscrew the top part, lift it slowly, rotate it 180 degrees and screw it back in. Guti
Ranger Filter Stand pipe
Posted 5/25/2009 9:38:04 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I crackek stand pipe hub changing sand , so i used soldering iron to melt plastic together and put silicone on the crack that i melted together. Will this be ok.

John G. 5/27/2009 5:49:54 PM    Reply
is there anyway you can send a picture to john@poolcenter.com ?
Larrs Heater Problem
Posted 5/15/2009 2:58:24 PM by Anonymous    Reply
My heater was working just fine. We had a blockage in the exhaust and I think it shut down automatically. Now the blower will not even come on when I turn it on. The manual says to check the manual reset switch, but I am not sure where this is. Is there anyway to determine if the blower is fried? Is there a fuse which could have been blown?

John G. 5/18/2009 8:17:32 AM    Reply
Some Laars heaters have a small reset button on the blower motor. Is there power going to the blower? That is a sure way to tell if it is bad.
above ground pool wall
Posted 5/7/2009 7:41:11 PM by Anonymous    Reply
the pool wall is getting a lot of tiny holes , causing a new liner to get tiny pin holes, what can we use on the medal wall, to stop more holes forming?

In need of a good pool guy...
Posted 5/7/2009 11:53:39 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I need somebody that knows what they are doing and wont skip out on the job.

John G. 5/8/2009 11:58:55 AM    Reply
What part of the country do you live in?
Anonymous 5/23/2009 2:15:26 PM    Reply
i need a above ground pool liner installer...
Anonymous 6/16/2009 2:23:44 AM    Reply
Where are you located????
Anonymous 6/21/2009 8:00:07 AM    Reply
Here they are but, where are you?
sand coming out inlet
Posted 5/6/2009 1:08:47 PM by Anonymous    Reply
After i backwash and then turn the pump back on sand comes out of the inlet and in the pool

John G. 5/8/2009 11:58:24 AM    Reply
Sand in the pool? Bad news. If it hasn't blown in, or been carried in on the feet of swimmers, it's likely coming from the filter. A broken lateral or standpipe may be the cause. You'll need to empty the tank, locate and make the repair, refill with fresh sand and test.
Anonymous 6/21/2009 8:02:53 AM    Reply
Before I recommend anything, tell me, do you go straight from backwash to filter position when finished? or do you RINSE before FILTERing ?
Air coming out of jets in pool??
Posted 5/4/2009 8:21:43 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Air coming out of jets of pool? Why might this be/

John G. 5/4/2009 5:22:03 PM    Reply
Beacuse there is a suction leak. Check for a leak BEFORE the pump. Pour water over the suction pipes and pump and see if the air stops.
DE Blowing Back Into the Pool
Posted 5/2/2009 1:28:16 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Any ideas why the DE is blowing into the pool through the values on the inside wall of the pool?

Anonymous 5/3/2009 9:12:49 PM    Reply
You have either overcharged the D.E. Filter, or you have a torn grid. You must take apart the top halve of the filter and inspect to find out which one.
Anonymous 1/15/2010 5:38:42 PM    Reply
Could be a crack in the manifold, tear in a grid or if you have a multi-port valve, a blown spider gasket, or a combination thereof. Have an experienced serviceman inspect all of these things. Thomas Green
valves , comercial pool
Posted 4/23/2009 10:37:00 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I need name for valve install before pump in comercial pool equipment

John G. 5/4/2009 5:22:33 PM    Reply
Valve
bottom
Posted 3/21/2009 1:57:24 PM by Anonymous    Reply
i have a new pool and the bottom was smooth before the liner went in..It looks smooth still untill I turn on the pool light at night and you can see ruff spots under liner.Is there any type of color lens I can put on my light to act as a filter

John G. 3/24/2009 12:47:37 PM    Reply
I know what you mean. Pool lights are very "Honest". Not only on vinyl pools, but in plaster pools as well. You can actually see trowell marks in most plaster pools with good lighting. Now, there may be colored lenses for your pool, that can take the edge off. You may also be able to install a dimmer switch on the line as well. John G
Anonymous 8/6/2009 9:34:43 PM    Reply
I also have this problem in my pool. It is very hard to swallow that I have spent a lot of money to be upset to turn on the light at night because it doesn't look like it does in the day. I had a pool that was 30 years old that had wooden walls and asbestos and it looked smoother in my opinion. Is there anything to do about this. Is this how all the new pools look like at night. Is it normal or is it a bad finish on the bottom of the pool. Gary
Triton Minimax 400 Heater Corosion
Posted 3/6/2009 12:03:33 AM by Anonymous    Reply
The "power head" on my flow control corodes in <2 months and fails causing the heater to time out to cool then restart. It is a salt pool with zinc anode and good chemistry. Worked well for 4-5 years. Pool builder is at a loss.

John G. 3/13/2009 4:31:47 PM    Reply
You need Jack's magic Purple Stuff. Seen here, http://www.poolcenter.com/chemicals_poolstor_jacks_magic.htm That should solve your corrosion problems John
why does the jaquzzi drain itself?
Posted 3/3/2009 9:43:45 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Once in awhile I wake up to find the jaquzzi nearly empty and the pool water level higher. The pool filter shuts down at 10pm automatically. So, why does the jaquzzi once in a while simply drain into the pool? Is this damaging anything?

John G. 3/3/2009 3:49:24 PM    Reply
No Damage, But you probably have the check valve inbetween the spa return and the pool system failing. If the spa is higher than the filter system, it will drain down if there is not a check valve, or if that valve is failing. John G.
Anonymous 3/6/2009 10:51:50 PM    Reply
Thank you John G. If there is no rush, I will have it repaired next time the pool man needs to come??? Or would you recommend getting it fixed asap? The spa is higher than both the pool and the pool filter system.
how long should i wait with chlorine
Posted 3/2/2009 3:33:31 PM by Anonymous    Reply
how long after i pour the chlorine in the pool should i wait to get in its been about 3 howrs but its a little foggy? can i get in yet or should i wait till it clears?

Anonymous 3/4/2009 9:01:41 AM    Reply
Pool water turnover rates are generally about 6 hrs depending on run time, pump, etc. You, hopefully, cleaned the filter, skimmer and pump baskets too. Test all your water chemistry and adjust. I suggest adjusting the Total Alkalinity first, then Ph, and finally your chlorine levels. Personally, I would go "in the water" until it is clear and the water balanced and sanitary. Good luck! Stephen D
Kreepy Krauly
Posted 2/14/2009 5:53:47 PM by Anonymous    Reply
My Kreepy Krauly does a pretty good job, now I wish it would move from the deep end to the shallow end. I've had two pool company's look at it and they both like the K.K. but pretty much said we had no options. The jets are fine. There must be an effective cleaner that will clean? I have an older pool and I think the suction type cleaners are the only ones I can use????

Proper Way of Installing DE Filter Grids
Posted 2/2/2009 8:53:47 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Just place an order for Item # NFC9530 Unicel DE Filter Grid set #36 SF, 7 Large and 1 Small. The Unicel DE Filter Grid Set did not come with any installation documentation. Installation documentation should have would have been provided with the order. If any installation documentation is available, It would be gratly appreciated......Thanks

Heyward 250 Fault Codes
Posted 2/2/2009 3:15:04 PM by Anonymous    Reply
My spa heater won't ignite and displays codes 5F and H5. Neither of these codes are in my manual. Does anyone know what they mean?

Anonymous 3/4/2009 9:13:04 AM    Reply
You probably have the problem fixed but the codes may actually be SF and HS. Sometimes the displays are a little confusing. Go to the Hayward.com site. They have good manuals with service tech sections. PDF format... Stephen D
Hayward Lighting Fixture
Posted 2/1/2009 10:08:50 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I have 4 Hayward underwater pool fixtures - model # SP-563-L. I've changed the bulbs and am having great difficulty in replacing the lens,gasketand retaining ring so that the fixtures are waterproof again. The gasket has a small "bulb" on it which I have placed facing outward as suggested by Hayward, and I've tightened the retaining ring as much as is humanly possible, yet water continues to seep into the fixture. Does anyone have experience with this fixture or any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

D E Filter Maintenance
Posted 1/27/2009 10:53:35 PM by Anonymous    Reply
What are the steps to doing a DE Filter tear down along with the do's & dont's?

Sys Chk No Flow - Filter Pump (Aqua Logic system)
Posted 1/24/2009 6:52:36 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Got this msg on the pad, but can't find anything on the net so far that tells me what this mean and how to resolve the problem. Help would be appreicate it......Thanks !

Anonymous 3/4/2009 9:32:51 AM    Reply
Probably too late, but is this the Hayward Aqua Logic system? Using salt? Antway, sounds like the flow switch may be bad. If this is the hayward model, check out their website. hawardnet.com i believe. Stephen D
Repairing a chlorine stain in a Pebble Sheen finish?
Posted 1/5/2009 8:37:52 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We have a pool with a Pebble Tec "Pebble Sheen" surface. The color of the surface is "Blue Granite". I asked my wife to add some chlorine one day, and not knowing any better, she tossed the chlorine tablets directly into the pool. They settled on the bottom and left a dark, almost black stain on the Pebble Sheen where the chlorine must have had some chemical reaction with the surfacing. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to how this can be repaired, either with or without draining the pool? Thanks for any and all advice!

Anonymous 1/15/2010 5:46:49 PM    Reply
Get in touch with Jack's Magic, you can find there website and contact directly with them. They are great at helping people with pool stain problems
purex triton minimax 400 pool/spa heater
Posted 12/21/2008 2:01:22 PM by Anonymous    Reply
found manual @lawnandgardenmanuals.com wiring diagram on small panel where contols are mounted on inside back.

Where does the vacuum line connect to the blower on a Pentair NT 400
Posted 12/20/2008 6:09:44 AM by Anonymous    Reply
A mouse chewed through the vacuum hose on my Pentair 400 and I can't find where it re-connects to Blower Housing. Any illustrations out there for the Hose assembly connection points?

Anonymous 12/20/2008 4:10:26 PM    Reply
http://www.almontpool.com/Pool%20Accessories/Images/PentairNTPoolHeater.pdf
Anonymous 12/20/2008 4:12:38 PM    Reply
MOUSEAWAY Pool Heater Protector Mouse Away is a pouch of All Natural Herbs to keep rodents out of your pool heater during the winter. Rodents chew wires, strip insulation and make a nasty mess. Mouse-Away is all natural - made with an exclusive formula that combines pure Peppermint Oil with pure Spearmint Oil in just the right combination to provide maximum repellency. Mouse Away does not harm rodents at all - they simply hate the smell and move away ASAP. Mouse Away WORKS. In pool heaters, closets, basements, old cars, attics. Mouse Away is the only humane way to protect your pool heater from corrosive and harsh rodent wastes. It protects heater wires from their sharp teeth, and pool heater insulation from being stripped into one nest area. And it won't harm animals. Pouch lasts 3-4 months. Shelf Life 2 yrs. Buy 3 - Save 5% Buy 12 - Save 15% Buy 24 - Save 20% Item No. Mouseaway Description Price Mouse Away Pouch for pool heaters $6.99 Buy & Save!
Anonymous 12/20/2008 4:13:04 PM    Reply
http://www.poolcenter.com/winter_pool_supplies_above_ground_accessories.htm
Anonymous 12/22/2008 1:53:32 AM    Reply
If you are looking down on the heater with the top off, there is a small nipple on the right side of the blower housing where the hose goes. The other end goes to the vacuum switch.
Losing Hair ?
Posted 12/8/2008 8:32:25 PM by Anonymous    Reply
A lap swimmer claims our pool is causing him to lose hair on his arm (only person complaining)....our pool is clean, chemicals right on and within limits so how could this be ? Could it be the water or something else ? Any ideas ? THXS !!

Anonymous 12/18/2008 1:04:25 PM    Reply
I really don't think the problem is with your water if there is only one person complaining. A low pH will cause skin irritation, and that is easily corrected. Ask your patron to visit a dermatologist.
Anonymous 2/14/2009 12:42:29 PM    Reply
The average bather will not be irritated by chlorine levels up to 10 or even 15 ppm (although their bathing suit might), however I do have a facility where one of the residents expeiriences discomfort from chlorine levels above 3 ppm. She just happens to be hypersensitive to chlorine, you may have a similar issue here, if everything else is right on (7.4 pH, 100 ppm Alk, 30 ppm CYA).
replaceing my filter pump for my pool.
Posted 11/27/2008 10:04:50 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I figured out that I had to drain the water about half way in my spa. To the level of my water return pipes in order to replace my jet pump. How much must I drain in my pool to replace my fiter pump?

Anonymous 12/6/2008 5:43:45 AM    Reply
You don't have to drain any if the pump is above the water level of the pool. If you can open the pump lid without water pouring out you'll be fine. If it below the water level you can still get away without draining, You need to plug all inlets and outlets. Skimmer and retuns should be plugged. Also some plumbing systems have valves which you can close if you need to. Most often the pump is on the ground level which is above the water level. The water drains in the spa due to gravity.
chlorinator won't work because flow valve says 'no flow'
Posted 11/12/2008 6:25:45 PM by Anonymous    Reply
this is the 3rd time this has happened. My AquaRite chlorinator won't work because the flow valve doesn't register a flow...eventhough the filter is on and there DEFINITELY is water flowing. Last times, the circuit board had to be replaced. now the techs are saying that the warantee covers the part, but I have to pay $85.00 for them to bring the part to me and install it. this is tending to happen at least 3X per year in my system that was installed in May of 2006. any ideas??

Anonymous 11/30/2008 1:26:18 AM    Reply
you may swich to diferent brand of clorinator . first clean filter then try to clean flow switch by unscewing it from t then scrub it with some schochbrite and soap se if that helps
Anonymous 12/5/2008 9:15:25 AM    Reply
You may want to check your PSI on the filter. Be sure it is below 24 as anything higher can damage the flow switch. If you do not want to have a tech come out and install the flow switch, then you can google part # GLX-FLO-RP to find it cheaper online.
Anonymous 3/4/2009 9:39:35 AM    Reply
If all the tips you have followed still don't work... Check the voltage to the controller. A 10% difference can cause problems as can spiking voltage. Maybe a surge protector or even a UPS (if you have lots of power outages) might help.. Stephen D
Hayward H-series pool heater fault code "AO"
Posted 10/19/2008 9:09:05 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Good afternoon pool troubleshooting mates! If any one has any quick tips or tricks please reply, thank you in advance! Im currently losing the war with my pool heater.. my blower comes on then 60 seconds later an AO fault code appears, blower continues to run, good water flow/pressure, I tried to manually light the pilot but I get no joy there. It was operated by renters 8-10 hrs /day for a year and a half. Very Respectfully, Kent

Anonymous 11/30/2008 1:34:46 AM    Reply
remove top cover by unscrewing screws by exost then puling lid up . then there is silicon tube that go from blower to switch. pul tube from blower and start cycle .at same time suck gently on tube and keep suction continius se if heater fires .if fires inspect tubing or may hawe bead blower.
TechnicalPoolRepair.com 12/22/2008 2:00:30 AM    Reply
The blower vacuum switch may need to be replaced. The go bad pretty often.
Coping expansion joint over caulking
Posted 10/15/2008 7:13:42 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Hello, I was wondering what happens in the case that someone would caulk the expansion joint for the coping and used sand instead of foam or something like it and used a lot more caulk than what the job called for because of it settling. what dangers does this pose. and what do you think a good solution is? thanks so much!

John G. 10/17/2008 11:22:55 AM    Reply
Sure you can use sand, Backer rod works better because it won't get in the caulk or move around.
Anonymous 10/17/2008 5:13:41 PM    Reply
should i be concerned with any issues of cracking in any case, either the pool deck or coping
Anonymous 11/30/2008 1:39:17 AM    Reply
the whole idea is to seal gap so water will not go under deck and wash away gravels from under that when deck seadles and cracks.
hayward heater won't stay on --- heat exchanger?
Posted 10/14/2008 4:52:38 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I'v ehad several "professionals" out to diagnose the problem of my heater not staying on. It keeps shutting off. The pros said that it was various things. Now they're saying that the heat exchange??? is bad and needs to be replaced at a cost of $750! There's gotta be a better solution! Hayward 250.....

pooltech 10/15/2008 10:25:08 AM    Reply
that is the heart of the heater and there is not way to repair it.They only need to be replaced if it is leaking.it woukld not be the cause of the heater not fireing unless the water is shorting something out or putting out the flame
Anonymous 11/6/2008 3:28:05 AM    Reply
does come with code after trying to fire 3 times code IF possibly . check your gas orfices sometimes very simple problems couse big problems . as spider webs .
TechnicalPoolRepair.com 12/22/2008 2:03:35 AM    Reply
It is not likely a heat exchanger problem. What do you mean it won't stay on?
Anonymous 5/16/2009 1:53:45 PM    Reply
Sounds like my problem, heater on Purex comes on for 10 to 20 minutes then shuts off. Not electrical reset. Puzzled
Draining a pool for winter
Posted 10/12/2008 12:47:16 PM by Anonymous    Reply
We live in Austin, Texas. Doesn't get below freezing very often, but we'd rather just drain the pool to really clean the floor and walls and then just keep it empty for the winter. Is there a problem with this?

. 10/14/2008 2:56:54 PM    Reply
It is never a good idea to leave a pool empty for any extended length of time you could damage the shell of the pool and /or the pool surface
Anonymous 2/14/2009 12:51:03 PM    Reply
I agree, If you don't want to have to service the pool during the winter months just turn off the pump, and cover the pool. Come spring time you will need to shock and vacuum before you turn the pump back on. At that point you could drain and acid wash. If you really want yur pool empty during the off season you will need to have Hydrostatic relief valves installed, or just rent a small jack hammer(about 80 bucks a day) and punch a few holes in the pool floor (one or two in the shallow end, and one or two in the deep end. Keep a sump pump in the deepend with a float switch to turn it on and off automatically. If you hire pros to acid wash or replaster in the spring they can fill the holes for you.
Anonymous 12/1/2009 8:04:01 PM    Reply
don't jack hammer a hole. drill with a large bit a hole in the low point. Only if you are sure there is not one there to begin with.
TRITON 100 SAND FILTER
Posted 9/18/2008 10:23:26 AM by Anonymous    Reply
I am having the sand changed and the guy says because I am in a freeze-zone climate there should be a bag of gravel placed at the bottom of the filter. In the past when the sand was changed, they used just sand. Which should it be?

Anonymous 10/11/2008 11:20:47 PM    Reply
You should only use silica #20 filter sand. It is important to cover laterals with water before pouring sand into the tank to prevent the sand weight from damaging the laterals while pouring it in the tank. In fall remove drain plug and position the filter dial to "winterize." If there is no "winterize" position, position the dial between the "waste/drain" and "closed" position to allow for proper drainage of tank.
purple staining
Posted 9/17/2008 9:21:56 PM by Anonymous    Reply
can anyone say any clues, this pool has stainings on the wall and bottom, my ideas are copper? magnesium? but not sure, to much water flo

Anonymous 9/20/2008 6:48:11 PM    Reply
Possibly copper, though it's more common with cobalt leaching in older fiberglass pools. Also consider manganese (not magnesium). Have the water checked for metals - iron, copper and manganese - by a well equipped pool store.
Inground pool lighting
Posted 9/15/2008 12:49:12 AM by Anonymous    Reply
Is it normal to replace the light in the inground pool annually?

John G. 9/17/2008 4:59:32 PM    Reply
Not really. I know of pool light bulbs that have lasted 5 years, or more. Double check the voltage.
Anonymous 11/6/2008 3:35:02 AM    Reply
I have sean pools with 30 years original light fixture and bulb . if light running while water drained fixture will over heat . also chemicals sometimes couse trubles if there was water in fixture recomand replecaing entire fixture
salt generator reading incorrect stays very low
Posted 9/9/2008 10:53:18 PM by Anonymous    Reply
aquarite generator cell continually reads 800=900 ppm low and cuts off generation; can reset @2600 and it works for a few days Have cleaned cell but it still reads low. cell is about 6 years old any way to get it working again?

Anonymous 9/11/2008 12:53:19 PM    Reply
You need to got a salt test kit, and measure the actual salt content of the pool. Kep in mind, the average life expectancy of a salt cell is about 5 years.
PUMP REPLACEMENT
Posted 9/9/2008 1:19:26 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I just replaced my pump motor, now the pump turns off after 15 minutes. The seller of pump says its the wiring I ask how if it worked fine before now it doesnt. Can anyone tell me what to do?

Anonymous 10/7/2008 8:20:11 PM    Reply
IF YOU INSTALLED IT YOURSELF, YOU MAY HAVE WRONG VOLTAGE. MOST COME WITH 220V IN THE BOX. IF YOU HAVE 110V TO MOTOR YOU HAVE LOW VOLTAGE (OR VICE VERSA) THERE IS A DIAGRAM ON MOTOR. SAME OL SAME OL ;;; IF ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.(OR CALL THE POOL MAN!)
Salt Generators
Posted 8/19/2008 6:38:23 PM by Anonymous    Reply
What are your thoughts on salt generators? We have installed of few of them to our new pools that we are building. Haven't had any troubles so far...

Anonymous 11/6/2008 3:40:02 AM    Reply
most of our costumers prity happy recomand periodic cleaning evry 90 days regardles brand .
locking rope hooks?
Posted 8/5/2008 12:05:25 PM by Anonymous    Reply
any ideas on how to secure a commercial pool rope so that residents cannot remove from wall or hook

dirt and debris coming from jets
Posted 8/2/2008 2:27:18 PM by Anonymous    Reply
This morning I was vacuuming to waste (lots of dead algae and dirt on bottom of pool). But all of a sudden there was a lot of dirt coming out of the jets, which werent even on (on "waste"). Can not figure this out, unless there is something wrong with the thing on top of the filter that you change the setting with.(?)

dirt and debris coming from jets
Posted 8/2/2008 11:45:36 AM by Anonymous    Reply
This morning I was vacuuming to waste (lots of dead algae and dirt on bottom of pool). But all of a sudden there was a lot of dirt coming out of the jets, which werent even on (on "waste"). Can not figure this out, unless there is something wrong with the thing on top of the filter that you change the setting with.(?)

Anonymous 8/5/2008 4:49:12 PM    Reply
it might be the web or spider gasket within the valve or something wrong with the filter. what brand and model?
Repairing a sidewall tear
Posted 7/26/2008 5:51:30 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Yes they can be repaired if you know where it is do it your self you should be albe to get patch kit at wal mart or your pool store.

Anonymous 7/8/2009 8:33:23 PM    Reply
can you just buy the vinyl adhesive only

Posted 7/17/2008 3:45:14 PM by Anonymous    Reply
my pump runs sporatic after i added my chemicals to the skimmer,any ideas on why?please help

Anonymous 7/24/2008 10:52:56 AM    Reply
You should never add chemicals to the skimmer. Dissolve them in a bucket of water, then add the solution into the pool.
Anonymous 8/5/2008 4:51:04 PM    Reply
you should never add chems to the skimmers. even tab used for that reason put a hurting on the pool equipment.
Anonymous 10/12/2008 12:04:47 AM    Reply
Lets set the record straight. Some chemicals should be added to the skimmer! Chlorine and stabilizer always in the skimmer. I find pre-mixing shock to be a waste of time and undissolved bits can bleach pool liners. The filter will catch the bits where it will dissolve safely. Acid, pH+, alkalinity and salt should be added to the pool. Puck tablets in the skimmer only if there are no metal pipes, or heaters. Otherwise pucks go in the chlorinator or a floater. Duration tablets go in the skimmer and never in the chlorinator! As for the pump acting erratically, this is strange. Does the pump act erratically when you try to vacuum as well? If so there could be an air leak somewhere.
pooljets
Posted 7/13/2008 9:35:22 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I just replaced my pool pump and now I only have on jet working I'm not sure what's wrong with the other two. Can anyone help me with this???

Anonymous 7/21/2008 3:11:37 AM    Reply
do you have de filter that was runing high presure. maybe some particals from sceleton broke of and clog some jet orfices .nead to clean out orfices
bottom of pool chipping
Posted 7/12/2008 9:46:19 AM by Anonymous    Reply
The bottom of my pool is piveting. Have no heater and used mainly by adults, only in summer. House was built in 2001 and there are about 8 chips in the pool. Please let me know what is causing this. We have a pool service and all he keeps saying is that this happens with age or if the pool was not cared for properly in the beginning.

Anonymous 7/21/2008 3:15:24 AM    Reply
i think that is bead plaster job from pool builder . sean 30 years pools that bin abused with cemicals and algeas and not chiping
Vacuming My Pool (mist of dirt through return...?)
Posted 7/8/2008 12:04:01 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Question: when I vac my pool a fine mist of dirt blows back in through the return. When the particles settle and i move them its like a cloud. what could be wrong? my sand filter would spit sand wouldnt it?

John G. 7/8/2008 12:13:42 PM    Reply
Well, Sometimes, very fine debris can pass through a sand filter. If you can vacuum to waste, then do it. How old is the sand in the filter? Maybe it's time to change it.
Anonymous 7/21/2008 3:19:32 AM    Reply
recomanded replaceing sand every 5 to 8 years . sand grains being broken dovn to smoler particles over years. or if whole sand grains comeing out might have some bead laterals
Anonymous 10/11/2008 11:32:22 PM    Reply
The above replies are right, but it could also be a crack under the filter head (common with older Swim Quip models) or the filter head may not be placed over the center stand pipe of the filter properly (common with Jacuzzi models). Remove filter head and inspect it for damage and make sure it fits snugly over stand pipe. If stand pipe is too short, extend it.
wiring on laars teledyne gas heater
Posted 7/5/2008 8:53:58 PM by Anonymous    Reply
wiring schematic very cinfusing for gas valve temp control any way to find exact wire position

John G. 7/8/2008 12:11:46 PM    Reply
Sure, What is the make model number of your heater?
lights on inground pool
Posted 6/20/2008 1:02:23 AM by Anonymous    Reply
My lights are four years old since I install them. Today at night, they keep turning off couple a minutes after I turn them on. What this mean? Is any danger of electrocu- tion? Please, any one, respond ASAP. Thanks, Marco from california: Marcop149@AOL.com

John G. 6/30/2008 3:30:19 PM    Reply
It sounds like the light is over heating, and the thermal overload is shutting it down. Is there any water, or moisture in the light housing, Behind the lens?
Pentair Remote control gone crazy
Posted 6/18/2008 1:38:08 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Can anyone share how to get the Pentair remote back on 'track' The pool is cleanly 84-86 degrees yet the remote says 72 degrees, etc.

Anonymous 7/21/2008 3:23:19 AM    Reply
some pantair controls can be calibrated few degries or maybe have bead sensor recomand original pantair only 10k oms
Purex Triton Minimax Plus 400 Pool Heater Manual
Posted 6/14/2008 8:00:27 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Im looking where to buy a Operation/Maintenance Manual for a Purex Triton Minimax Plus 400 Pool Heater. I'm also looking for where I can buy parts in So. Cal

Anonymous 9/27/2008 3:22:43 PM    Reply
What did you find out?
Anonymous 10/3/2008 12:43:10 AM    Reply
Has anyone found this manual? We bought a home with a wonderful pool... no manuals!
Anonymous 10/7/2008 8:25:49 PM    Reply
GO ONLINE TO PENTAIR POOL PRODUCTS.COM AND DOWNLOAD. IF THAT DON'T WORK CONTACT PENTAIR BY LAND LINE.
polaris autoclear plus /code cell 94
Posted 6/13/2008 8:03:55 PM by Anonymous    Reply
saying cell output problem what might be the problem causing this: when i hit test it shows salt level is high and i have 27 volts but no amps.........use to show 5.2 amps when running well

Anonymous 10/7/2008 8:26:52 PM    Reply
CELL IS SHOT
Anonymous 8/22/2011 3:47:06 PM    Reply
I have the same problem, amps show 0.0. Are you sure that the cell is shot? I read that someone just replaced a fuse and it worked fine. Plus, my cell is only 1 year old.
Air in Chlorinator
Posted 6/3/2008 9:33:36 PM by Anonymous    Reply
I am not getting adequate chlorine into my pool. I have a tablet chlorinator mounted next to the DE filter. When I open the chlorinator to add tablets it is usually half full of air. Any ideas as to where the air might be coming from? There are no obvious water leaks, I have replaced all the chlorinator gaskets... I assume the air is getting in when the pump is turned off and a pipes are experiencing a vacuum pressure due to the pumps, filter, etc. being higher than the pool. thanks

John G. 6/30/2008 1:44:05 PM    Reply
Your chlorinator is designed to operate half full of water. Are the tablets dissolving?
Anonymous 10/11/2008 11:46:04 PM    Reply
What brand of chlorinator do you have? Some chlorinators have an air bleeder valve at the top. Open it until water squirts out and then close it. If there is no bleeder valve, like the Hayward inline chlorinator model, turn the pump on and wait for the water to go up to near the top before closing the lid. The chlorinator dial should be set such that there is a gradual slow rise of water and the pucks should dissolve evenly such that 2 - 5 tablets (depending on the size of your pool) will chlorinate your pool evenly and deliver between 1 - 3 ppm of free available chlorine over the course of 7 days.

Posted 6/2/2008 10:33:36 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Can anyone tell me how long I have to wait to shock my pool after I add baking soda to it?

Anonymous 7/11/2008 8:18:27 AM    Reply
no wait..
dynamo pumps
Posted 6/2/2008 8:24:46 PM by Anonymous    Reply
how do you take the impeller off the motor

using DE filters?
Posted 5/30/2008 2:14:29 PM by Anonymous    Reply
Is there a way to improve water circulation after a day of heavy use without backwashing and adding more DE?

Anonymous 7/21/2008 3:26:06 AM    Reply
no that is the only way
Anonymous 10/7/2008 8:32:11 PM    Reply
JONAH UNDERWATER SERVICES,MURFREESBORO,TN. AGE OLD ADVICE .BUMP THE PUMP ALOW DE TO SETTLE AND BUMP THE PUMP AGAIN . MAY WELL REDISTRIBUTE THE DE. SOME OLD DE FILTERS ACTUALLY HAVE A CRANK HANDLE ONTHEM TO SPIN THE GRID. I' D SAY YUR FILTER IS TOO SMALL,.
Salt System
Posted 5/21/2008 10:36:01 AM by Anonymous    Reply
My pool system is telling me to add 100 lbs of salt. Does it just get poured in or is there something special I need to do. This is the first time I have had to add salt since it was built in October 07.

Anonymous 5/23/2008 9:25:59 PM    Reply
Couple things: 1) make sure your pool is running with good circulation; if you have a bottom drain this is a bonus because the salt will sink to the lowest part of the pool and a bottom drain will help the circulation in that part of the pool. 2) you could get away with pouring it anywhere but in front of the jets OR evening around the pool would be better than just randomly dumping it in. 3) be sure to add the correct amount; too much will cost a lot more money if you have to empty the water out of your pool (cost of water, more chemicals, time).
Anonymous 7/21/2008 3:29:46 AM    Reply
also make sure generator is off while salt flows trugh system realy concetrated. also runing pool cleaner ,polaris itc helps to stear salt.
repairing a sidewall of a tear on a in ground pool liner
Posted 5/15/2008 10:30:30 PM by Anonymous    Reply
CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF AN INGROUND POOL LINER SIDEWALL TEAR CAN BE REPAIRED.

Anonymous 9/29/2008 7:32:16 PM    Reply
of course...really no problem. any pool supply can tell you how..I need to check on the adhesive used..just cut a scrap of liner and glue it on.
SLIDE REHAB
Posted 5/8/2008 2:47:21 PM by pooltech    Reply
I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE GO TO A BOATING SUPPLY SHOP AND GET FIBERGLASS RESIN GEL COATING (IT IS FIBERGLASS WITH OUT THE GLASS) AND MIXED THE 2 PART MIX AND PAINTED OR SPRAYED IT ON. IT COMES IN MANY COLORS

aquaslide repairs
Posted 5/5/2008 8:29:11 PM by Anonymous    Reply
can a aquaslide that is dated, worn from sun and usage be repaired and or refinished?

Anonymous 9/12/2008 10:25:32 AM    Reply
Some people get them regel-coated (fiberglassed with out the glass part )

Post a comment
Title:

Comments:

Enter number shown above: